Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid flow through a cone equation ?

1. Apr 29, 2003 #1
    I'm in the process of designing a scoop used for automotive purposes. Anybody know some formulas pertaining to pressure, velocity and area dealing with scoops (Funnels, cones, etc)? Thanks for the help! Joe
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The basic formula is:

ρ V A = constant

Where ρ is density, V is velocity of the flow, and A is the cross-sectional area.

"Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson provides a very in-depth look at flows through nozzles, diffusers and wind tunnels in Chapter 10, if you need more information (it's way more than I can easily go through here)

EDIT: On second thought, I could go through it... I just don't have time until the weekend. If noone else can fill you in before then, I'll write it up. PM me if I forget, please.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  4. Apr 30, 2003 #3
    Hey, my library has a copy of the book reserved for me! Thank you for your help and willingness to do more. Off to communications class, Joe
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?