Understanding Fluid Flow in Physics Lab: Poiseuille Equation

In summary: Up to a point. The difficulty at small y-y0 is the accuracy in measuring it. The pipe has some width. How exactly is y0 defined? I wonder if the graph would look straighter if you were to take y0 as being a bit less.
svoboda32
Member warned that homework questions must be posted in a homework section
Hi everyone,

I have to answer some question about a physics lab..here are the questions
A tank is empty by a pipe and we measure the height (y-y0) of fluid in the tank as a function of time. We obtain this graph ( I join the graph)
We can find the relaxation time
ile_TEX.gif
with the relation :
ile_TEX.cgi?(y-y_{0})%20=%20e^{\frac{-t}{\tau%20}}%20.gif

with (yin -y0) is the initial height of the fluid in the tank and (y-y0) is the height of the fluid at a time t.
I can easily isolate
ile_TEX.gif
but the teacher say that it's a part of the graph which is the best to evaluate
ile_TEX.gif
He ask what is this part and why ??
It's a physics lab about the fluid flow and poiseuil equation for viscosity...
If someone can give me some track ..
Sorry for my English I'm French..
TpFluidok.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume your time measurements are accurate, but there may be some small error up to Δy in each height measurement.
If you pick two points (times) on the graph, how large might your error be in τ?

The data in your graph does not satisfy your equation. If it did, the data would fall on a straight line.

@haruspex if I have an error Δy on y I can eventually calculate the error on τ by the method of partial differentiation..

@Chestermiller I know because we obtain this curve experimentally and there is certainly another factors that interfer. That's why the teacher as what's the best part of the curve to evaluate τ

svoboda32 said:
we obtain this curve experimentally and there is certainly another factors that interfer. That's why the teacher as what's the best part of the curve to evaluate τ
That will depend on the cause of the error; which part of the curve does it least affect?

That's what I'm looking for ! Maybe the first part from t = 0s to t= 30s because we have a straight line like Chestermiller said ...

svoboda32 said:
That's what I'm looking for ! Maybe the first part from t = 0s to t= 30s because we have a straight line like Chestermiller said ...
There is also a straight line section between 80 and 110. Do you think inertial effects will be more important at short times or at long times?

Chestermiller said:
There is also a straight line section between 80 and 110. Do you think inertial effects will be more important at short times or at long times?
Any chance there could be turbulence in some stage? I'm guessing not.

haruspex said:
Any chance there could be turbulence in some stage? I'm guessing not.
Turbulence could definitely be a factor. At short times, when velocities are highest, the laminar-turbulent transition could be exceeded in the tube. Also, the hydrodynamic entrance length in the tube could be a significant factor at short times.

I think at the beginning of the experience the velocity of water through the pipe is greater and we don't have a laminar flow...so the best measure will occur at long times when (y-y0) is small .. what do you think about that ??

svoboda32 said:
I think at the beginning of the experience the velocity of water through the pipe is greater and we don't have a laminar flow...so the best measure will occur at long times when (y-y0) is small .. what do you think about that ??
Up to a point. The difficulty at small y-y0 is the accuracy in measuring it. The pipe has some width. How exactly is y0 defined? I wonder if the graph would look straighter if you were to take y0 as being a bit less.

1. What is the Poiseuille equation?

The Poiseuille equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the rate of fluid flow through a cylindrical pipe or tube. It takes into account factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the length and radius of the pipe, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

2. How is the Poiseuille equation derived?

The Poiseuille equation is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. By making some simplifying assumptions, such as assuming laminar flow and neglecting external forces, the Poiseuille equation can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the Poiseuille equation in fluid mechanics?

The Poiseuille equation is important for understanding and predicting fluid flow in various systems, such as in pipes and blood vessels. It also helps to determine the factors that affect the rate of fluid flow, such as viscosity and the geometry of the system.

4. How is the Poiseuille equation used in a physics lab?

In a physics lab, the Poiseuille equation can be used to measure the viscosity of a fluid by measuring the rate of flow through a cylindrical pipe of known dimensions. This can also be used to study other factors that affect fluid flow, such as the effect of changing the pipe radius or pressure difference.

5. What are the limitations of the Poiseuille equation?

The Poiseuille equation is only valid for laminar flow, which is when the fluid flows in smooth, parallel layers. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible and the pipe is straight and of constant cross-section. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold and the Poiseuille equation may not accurately predict fluid flow.