Maximizing Fluid Storage in a Rectangular Tank with Given Force Limit

In summary: I get the same thing. In summary, the conversation was about how to set up a problem involving fluid force for a rectangular tank with a given maximum force that the walls can withstand. The solution involves defining pressure at a given depth and using equations for fluid force to find the maximum volume of fluid the tank can hold.
liberty/death

Homework Statement

This is just a general question.

The questions I can't get go something like this:

You're given a liquid you plan to store, in a tank, say for this example, a rectangular one with square sides. You're given the max fluid force that the interior walls can withstand, and asked to find how many cubic units of fluid the tank can store, at maximum, I'm assuming.

My question is, how do you go about setting up a problem like this in general?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've tried to setup the integral with the force already put in (since its given), but I don't know where to start with how to integrate / solve for volume / find boundaries / etc.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
start by defining the pressure on a face with depth for a given height h, then intergate over the area of a face to find the force

By pressure, are you referring to the fluid force? If so, how would you even go about doing that? As the surface of the fluid is not defined.

what do you mean by fluid force? I'm not really familiar with the term..

By pressure I mean force per unit area
[tex] P = \frac{F}{A} [/tex]

the pressure in a liquid at depth h will be given by:
[tex] P = \rho g h [/tex]

Well, this is suppose to be a fluid force problem, though there are many ways to solve it I'm sure. We're suppose to make use of the fluid force equations. Namely:

F=whA and F= the integral of w(strip depth) L(y) dy.

w= weight density of liquid
L(y)=length of strip
A=area

ok yep

1. What is fluid force?

Fluid force is the force exerted by a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, on an object. It is a result of the pressure and density of the fluid acting on the surface of the object.

2. How is fluid force calculated?

Fluid force can be calculated using the formula F = PA, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the object. This formula applies to both liquids and gases.

3. What factors affect fluid force?

The factors that affect fluid force include the density of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the surface area and shape of the object. These factors can also affect the direction and magnitude of the fluid force.

4. What is the relationship between fluid force and volume?

The volume of an object does not directly affect the fluid force acting on it. However, the shape and surface area of the object can affect the fluid force, and these factors are related to the object's volume. For example, a larger volume object with a greater surface area will experience a greater fluid force.

5. How is volume calculated?

The volume of an object can be calculated using various formulas, depending on the shape of the object. For example, the volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height, while the volume of a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of the base by the height.