1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid force in a pool

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Let us define a pool. Viewed from top, we see a rectangle of sides 16 ft and 10 ft. When we look from the side (so the 16 ft side is perpendicular to our view), it is a trapezoid with width 16 ft and 4 ft, 16 ft being the height. It is roughly like this:

From top:

Code (Text):

16 ft
        |                |
        |                |
        |                |  10 ft
    From one side (and the other opposite side):

Code (Text):

16 ft
    4ft |                |
         ....            |
             ....        |  8 ft
                 ....    |
    The two other sides are rectangular (4 ft x 10 ft and 8 ft x 10 ft). The floor (OK, it's also a "side") is a rectangle with dimension 10 ft x [itex]\sqrt{16^2+4^2}[/itex] ft.

Let the pool be filled completely with water with weight density [itex]\pi[/itex] = 62.4 lb/ft^3.

The question is: what is the fluid force on the bottom of the pool?

Let us use the second image for this discussion. I define an vertical x axis with x = 0 located at 4 ft below the water surface and the positive x is below x = 0. I define h(x) = 4 + x as the height of water surface at a particular x location and w(x) = 10 as the width of the pool.

To find the fluid force F, I use the equation

F = \int_0^4\pi h(x)w(x)\sec t\;dx

Where t is the angle between the x axis and the inclined pool floor.

Since sec t = [itex]\sqrt{16^2+4^2}/4[/itex],

F = \int_0^4 (62.4) (4 + x) (10) \frac{\sqrt{16^2+4^2}}{4} dx

However the answer given by my book isn't the same as mine (the book's answer is bigger). Since I ruled out the possibility of miscalculation the integral, it must be my formulation of the integral (or the book's answer is wrong).

However I can't see what's wrong with my integral... I tried doing it "low level", formulating the Riemann Sums first, but it results in the integral I use.

What's wrong?

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand your choice of variable. I would pick x as measured along a horizontal axis, from x = 0 to x = 16. Then the water depth is h(x) = 4 + x/4.

If you rewrite your integral using the variable x as I have defined it, you should be OK.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?