Fluid force integration problem

In summary, to find the force against the plate, you need to set up an integral that takes into account the variable radius of the cone created by rotating the triangle. Make sure to use the correct formula for the volume of a cone and integrate from the base to the top.
tobywashere

Homework Statement

The vertical triangular plate shown in the picture below is the end plate of a feeding trough full of hog slop, weighing 80 pounds per cubic foot. What is the force against the plate?

Homework Equations

This question is supposed to involve intregration to find volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

I rotated the triangle around the y-axis (not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do). Then I found the volume of the resulting shape (it is a cone).
V = pi * 42 * 2 / 3
V = 33.5 cubic feet
Then multiply by 80 lbs per cubic foot to get 2680.8 lbs
But this answer is much higher than the textbook's answer. I'm lost for any other way of doing this question. I know my answer can't be right because I didn't integrate anywhere.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. You are on the right track by rotating the triangle around the y-axis to create a cone. However, you are missing a key step in the integration process. In order to find the volume of the cone, you need to set up an integral that takes into account the variable radius of the cone as it extends from the base to the top. Remember, the volume of a cone is given by V = (1/3) * pi * r^2 * h, where r is the radius and h is the height. Since the height of the cone is changing as you move up from the base, you need to set up an integral that takes this into account. I would suggest setting up the integral from the base of the cone to the top, with the variable radius as the function to be integrated. Once you have the integral set up correctly, you can then solve for the volume and multiply by the density of the hog slop to find the force against the plate. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is a fluid force integration problem?

A fluid force integration problem is a type of problem that involves calculating the total force exerted by a fluid on a submerged or partially submerged object. This force is typically a result of the pressure and velocity of the fluid acting on the surface of the object.

2. How is fluid force integration used in real life?

Fluid force integration is used in various applications, such as designing structures that can withstand the force of water or wind, predicting the behavior of objects in water or air, and studying the mechanics of fluids in industries like aerospace and marine engineering.

3. What are the key steps in solving a fluid force integration problem?

The key steps in solving a fluid force integration problem include: defining the problem and identifying the fluid properties, determining the geometry and orientation of the object, calculating the pressure and velocity of the fluid at different points on the object's surface, and integrating the forces to find the total force exerted by the fluid.

4. What are the different types of fluid force integration techniques?

There are two main types of fluid force integration techniques: analytical and numerical. Analytical techniques involve solving equations using mathematical formulas and principles, while numerical techniques use computational methods to approximate the solutions. Examples of analytical techniques include Bernoulli's equation and the Navier-Stokes equations, while examples of numerical techniques include finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics.

5. What are some challenges in solving fluid force integration problems?

Some challenges in solving fluid force integration problems include accurately modeling the fluid flow and understanding the complex interactions between the fluid and the object. These problems can also become computationally intensive, especially for large and complex systems, and may require specialized software and computer resources.