1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Force problem

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    I would appreciate any help I can get w/the following problem:
    A square plate of side 'a' ft is dipped in a liquid of weight density 'p' lb/ft^3. Find the fluid force on the plate if a vertex is at the surface and a diagonal is perpendicular to the surface.

I understand the surface has a diamond shape--I have tried dividing it into two triangles and finding the fluid force for each and adding them but have been unable to obtain the textbook's answer.

The two integrals I get are:
    fluid force 1 = integral (limits: a*sqrt2/2 and 0) p * 2h^2 * dh
    fluid force 2 = integral (limits: a*sqrt2 and a*sqrt2/2) p * ( h + (a*sqrt2)/2) * (2h) * dh

The book's answer is (a^3*p)/sqrt2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this is clearly homework, I am moving it.

Yes, dividing into two triangles is probably the best way to go. If we take a coordinate system with (0,0) at the upper corner, positive y-axis along the vertical diagonal, then the sides of the upper triangle are given by y= x (x> 0) and y= -x (x< 0). The horizontal diagonal is at y= [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex], half the length of the diagonal. A thin (thickness dy) horizontal rectangle, at given y will have length y-(-y)= 2y and so area 2ydy. The depth is y so the pressure at that depth is py. The total force on that thin rectangle is py2dy. Integrate that from y= 0 to [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] to get the total force on the upper triangle.

The lower triangle can be done in a similar way. Now, let the origin, (0, 0) be at the lower vertex, the positive y axis upward. The calculation for the area is exactly the same: 2ydy. However, the depth of that vertex at (0,0) is now [itex]a\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the depth of the horizontal line at height y above the vertex is [itex]a\sqrt{2}-y[/itex] so you must integrate [itex]2py(a\sqrt{2}-y)[/itex] from 0 to [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex].
    Hmmm- if you are clever, the hard part of those two integrals will cancel!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?