1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Force

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    2. A plate shaped as in the figure [picture.jpg is attached] is submerged vertically in a fluid as indicted. Find the fluid force on the plate if the fluid has weight density 62.4 lb/ft^3

The integral I set up was the limits being -5 to -1 and the integral being (5-y)(-7/4y - 7/4) dy.

[Also on this one I was getting help on it yesterday on another thread...but the tutor seems to offline right now, and im hoping someone else can assist me to get this problem done]

I was told that the (-7/4y - 7/4) is correct but the (5-y) is not.

After many posts on the last thread I still can't figure out the depth.

Help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, it is the other say around- the "5- y" is correct, it is the "(7/4)- (7/4)y" that is incorrect. You want (7/4)(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y.

Let "y" be the height above the base line of the triangle. Then the depth of water above that line is 5- x. Also, by "similar triangles" we have
    [tex]\frac{x}{7}= \frac{4-y}{4}[/tex]
    where "x" is the width of the triangle at height y.
    (The triangle above height y has height 4- y, width x and is similar to the entire triangle with height 4 and width 7)
    [tex]x= \frac{7}{4}(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y[/tex]

So a thin rectangle, at height y, with thickness dy, would have area (7- (7/4)y)dx. Taking [itex]\delta[/itex] as the density of water, the weight of water above that rectangle is the area times the height above y (the volume of water above that rectangle) times the density of water: [itex]((7-(7/4)y)dx)(5- y)\delta[/itex]

Integrate that from y= 0 to y= 4.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    So wait, What is it that im integrating? (5-y)(7-7/4y) dy

From the limits [0,4]

?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook