1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid force

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the fluid force of a triangle with base of 6 ft and height of 4 ft submerged vertically into a body of water,vertex down, to a depth of 3 feet.

2. Relevant equations

from c to d W h(y) L(y)

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up the triangle on an x and y axis, splitting it down the middle. I made h(y) = -y and
    L(y)= 2 (3/4(y+7)) (I found the equation of the line for the side of the triangle and multiplied it by 2). W is equal to 62.4

I set the problem up like this -6/4 x 62.4 times the integral from -7 to -3 of y(y+7).
    When I integrated this I got 3244.8 lbs. I just want to know if I did this correctly. If not, please explain where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2
    Looks like you got it to me.

The only thing unconventional to me is using -ve y in your set up. Usually in hydrostatic problems y is just taken as +ve in the down direction. Using your convention the force should have come out -ve mathematically. But as long as you are consistent it didn't matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted