Fluid & Forces Homework: F2 = (A2/A1) F1

In summary, the conversation is about a conceptual question regarding the amount of force required for systems 1 and 3. The equation F2 = (A2/A1) F1 is mentioned, but the question does not require any mathematical calculations. The person eventually realizes that the force required for system 3 is not the same as for system 1.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I believe this is a question that requires a simple explanation without having to do any mathematics.

If people are disregarding this post, simply because it seems as if I am just thrusting the question out there, I am not.
The question is simple. It's a conceptual question.

So please take your time to answer.

which one? I got a slide show with several queations?

denverdoc said:
which one? I got a slide show with several queations?

the 3rd question please

thanx

1 just have to add up the velocities, first time i went thru it I was wrong.

1. What is the formula F2 = (A2/A1) F1 used for?

The formula F2 = (A2/A1) F1 is used to calculate the force exerted by a fluid on an object. This is known as the force balance equation.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived from the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically Bernoulli's principle and Pascal's law. It states that the pressure exerted by a fluid on an object is directly proportional to the ratio of the cross-sectional areas of the object.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of fluid, whether it is a liquid or a gas. However, it is important to note that the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, will affect the calculations.

4. How is this formula applied in real-life situations?

This formula is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the forces acting on objects submerged in fluids. It is also used in the design of hydraulic systems, such as in dams and pumps.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

While this formula is a useful tool for calculating fluid forces, it does have limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that the flow is steady, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account other factors such as turbulence and surface roughness, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations.