Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fluid Mechanic help- Find the acceleration rate of a pipe that decreases in diameter

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pipe is designed to have its cross sectional area decreasing linearly from 12-inch diameter to 6-inch diameter. What is the acceleration rate at a section 10 inches from the ending section of 12-inch pipe at time = 3 sec? The volume flow rate Q=2t cfs (note: t is in sec). Also given is the length of pipe from the 12-inch diameter to the 6-inch diameter is 30-inches.

2. Relevant equations
    Might use ax = du/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried solving Q by letting t=3 and substituting into the Q equation to get 6 cfs, but it hasn't led me any where.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Re: Fluid Mechanic help- Find the acceleration rate of a pipe that decreases in diame

I have a similar question in my Fluid Mechanics book.
    Diameter of duct changes linearly over a length of 3m, being 0.46m at entry and 0.15m at outlet. If flow is steady and volume rate of flow is 0.3m^3/s, determine rate of acceleration of fluid at a point halfway along duct.
    Determine total rate of acceleration at same point if volume rate of flow increases at 0.37m^3/s^2.

How do you calculate this?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook