1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanic help- Find the acceleration rate of a pipe that decreases in diameter

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pipe is designed to have its cross sectional area decreasing linearly from 12-inch diameter to 6-inch diameter. What is the acceleration rate at a section 10 inches from the ending section of 12-inch pipe at time = 3 sec? The volume flow rate Q=2t cfs (note: t is in sec). Also given is the length of pipe from the 12-inch diameter to the 6-inch diameter is 30-inches.

2. Relevant equations
    Might use ax = du/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried solving Q by letting t=3 and substituting into the Q equation to get 6 cfs, but it hasn't led me any where.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Re: Fluid Mechanic help- Find the acceleration rate of a pipe that decreases in diame

I have a similar question in my Fluid Mechanics book.
    Diameter of duct changes linearly over a length of 3m, being 0.46m at entry and 0.15m at outlet. If flow is steady and volume rate of flow is 0.3m^3/s, determine rate of acceleration of fluid at a point halfway along duct.
    Determine total rate of acceleration at same point if volume rate of flow increases at 0.37m^3/s^2.

How do you calculate this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?