1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics and distance

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    Im working on the problem below...

Im having trouble finding the distance I have labled in the problem...H_c....which is the distance from the fluid surface to the center of the hatch......It appears to be found just using geometry but im not getting it....

I found the area of the hatch to be .160 m....by adding the areas of the rectangle and two semi circles....and I have the specific weight found by multiplying (.90 x 9.81 Kn/m^3) = 8.83 Kn/m^3.......

so the resultant force formula is

F_r = specific weight x area x H_c......

and the correct answer for the resultant force is 1213 N...but I cant get H_c...

Also later in the problem I have to find the centroid of the hatch....so how would I go about doing that...would I take the centroid for each shape and average them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Jason03: Study some trigonometry. I.e., memorize the definition of sine, cosine, and tangent for a right triangle. Remember those? You must learn those.

The length of the slanted side would be (0.6 m)/cos(40 deg), right? See if you can figure out how to find H_c and F_r now.
  4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    yea actually i figured it out shortly after i posted....but i did it slightly differently..

Cos40 = y/.450

Y= .450cos40

Y= .344 m

So ….(.6 +.6) - .344 = .855

h_c = .855 m

and the centroids were easily enough found by just adding the sum of the composites of a circle and square....

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice work. That is a good approach you used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?