1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics Book

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    Is there a book, series of notes, lectures, PDF, PPT or anything that contains all known complete analytical exact solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, information regarding exact solutions to the N-S equations is mostly just published in several papers.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    An exact solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for magnetohydrodynamic flow

Journal Acta Mechanica
    Publisher Springer Wien
    ISSN 0001-5970 (Print) 1619-6937 (Online)
    Issue Volume 113, Numbers 1-4 / March, 1995

maybe this is what you are looking for

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    You could. But from what I understand, the conditions in which an exact solution can be found are not really applicable to anything useful. So in a nutshell, when people are looking for solutions to real life fluid mechanics problems they don't go looking for an exact solution but a method to give them an accurate approximation.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6
    Don't waste your time.

8. Dec 1, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?