Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics Book

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    Is there a book, series of notes, lectures, PDF, PPT or anything that contains all known complete analytical exact solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, information regarding exact solutions to the N-S equations is mostly just published in several papers.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    An exact solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for magnetohydrodynamic flow

Journal Acta Mechanica
    Publisher Springer Wien
    ISSN 0001-5970 (Print) 1619-6937 (Online)
    Issue Volume 113, Numbers 1-4 / March, 1995

maybe this is what you are looking for

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    You could. But from what I understand, the conditions in which an exact solution can be found are not really applicable to anything useful. So in a nutshell, when people are looking for solutions to real life fluid mechanics problems they don't go looking for an exact solution but a method to give them an accurate approximation.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6
    Don't waste your time.

8. Dec 1, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook