Can Taking Fluid Mechanics Without Completing All Prerequisites Work?

In summary, the student is considering taking five courses in one semester: physics 2, calc 3, differential equations, experimental techniques, and physics 1. He is concerned about his academic record, and wants to know if he would be able to transfer after taking these courses.
462chevelle
Gold Member
I was wondering if I could get you guys advice on something. My school only offers fluid mechanics every other Fall. This spring I'm taking physics 1, calc 2, and chem 2. In the fall I'll for sure be taking physics 2, and calc 3, I could take rigid body mechanics and experimental techniques, but they offer those every fall. So I want to take calc 3, fluid mechanics, physics 2, and experimental techniques.

Physics 2 is a prereq for fluid mechanics but differential equations is a corequisite. My school only offers differential equations in the spring, since I haven't taken calc 2 and my chemistry lab gets in the way of the schedule I can't take differential equations this spring. I got the book they are using this semester for differential equations and I'm going to see how far I can get on my own. I'm not sure how that is going to go though.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm in for, as far as my academic record I would like to think I'm a good student and I'm not afraid to work hard. Here are the course descriptions.

Fluid mechanics
Study of fluid properties, compressible and incompressible fluids and
aerodynamics, flui
d statics and dynamics including viscous effects,
dimensional analysis, and fluid measurements.

Experimental techniques
Study of the techniques and devices used in experimental physics
including lasers, vac
uum systems, temperature measurements,
photographic emulsions, spectrometers and particle detectors; procedures
of data analysis.

Physics 2
Study of electrostatics, electric circuits, magnetism, electromagnetic
fields and optics; includes one laboratory per week. The laboratory
component of the course consists of measurements, observa
tion and
comparison of measured values to the accepted theoretical or measured
values.

Calc 2
A continuation of Calculus I, Analytical Geometry and Calculus.
Applications and techniques of integration, sequences, and series, conics,
parametric equations, polar coordinates, and vectors.

Calc 3
Continuation of Calculus II. Vector
-
valued functions, partial
differentiation, multiple integration, line integral
s, surface integrals.
Green’s Theorem, the Divergence Theorem, and Stokes’ Theorem.

Diff eq's
Solutions of ordinary differential equations with applications.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's one big bite to chew without a "full set of teeth (diff.Eq. & Phys. II)."

One should look at the math and engineering/physics prerequisites for the course in fluid mechanics. It is normal to have a course in differential equations before taking fluid mechanics, as to which Bystander alluded.

It's more important to learn things well than try to take on too much at once. You should probably wait to take fluid mechanics.

I was hoping that I wouldn't be losing to much by taking it concurrent with physics 2 since all that it entails is e and m. I was also hoping that its possible, as far as the schedule it doesn't worry me. I have all summer to learn some diff equations, I know I would be behind for sure though. My main concern is that I don't know if I would be able to transfer without taking fluid mechanics and I was hoping to transfer after next fall. I would be completely done with all of my math and physics classes and be ready for engineering classes. Now that I think about it, it would probably be really hard and I would end up being at the bottom of the curve since everyone else I know that is taking it is done with calc, diff eq, phys1-2, and the other classes I mentioned. I might be better off taking it easy.
Thanks.

What is the best way to study for a fluid mechanics class?

The best way to study for a fluid mechanics class is to review the material regularly, practice solving problems, and seek help from your professor or classmates when needed. It is also helpful to create study guides and use visual aids to better understand concepts.

What are some recommended resources for a fluid mechanics class?

There are many resources available for studying fluid mechanics, including textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. Your professor may also have specific recommendations for additional resources.

How can I improve my understanding of complex fluid mechanics equations?

To improve your understanding of complex fluid mechanics equations, it is important to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also practice solving similar equations and seek help from your professor or classmates if you are struggling.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a fluid mechanics class?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a fluid mechanics class include not understanding the underlying principles and concepts, relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to read and follow instructions carefully when solving problems.

How can I apply fluid mechanics concepts to real-world situations?

One way to apply fluid mechanics concepts to real-world situations is to look for examples in everyday life, such as the flow of water in a faucet or the movement of air around an airplane wing. You can also seek out case studies or projects that involve real-world applications of fluid mechanics.