1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics - Find the required power

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    Hi I don't know where to start with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A cone is rotating in a slot at constant angular speed w. The gap h separating the cone and the lsot's wall is much smaller than the cone's height b. A fluid with viscosity mu fills the gap. Obtain an expression for the power required to just overcome the viscous resistance. Calculate this power for a rotating speed of 500rpm, h = .2 mm, b= 10cm mu= .025 Pa.s cone's half angle alpha = 25 degrees

Because the example given uses the formulas below but it was for a cylinder and velocity was in m/s. As a result I have no idea what to do.
    Shear stress= mu * (change in velocity/gap between cones)
    Shear force = shear stress * area (surface?)
    Power = Force * Velocity

I know I have to convert rpm to radians and that as the radius changes the velocity changes as well.

As height b changes so does the radius (which is the lever arm?) but I am not sure how to express that. Any pointers on how to get started would be great.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?