What Tank Shape Ensures Constant Height Change Rate in Fluid Mechanics?

In summary, fluid mechanics is the study of fluids and their interactions with forces. A free jet is a fluid stream that is not confined by solid boundaries. The flow of a free jet is characterized by velocity, density, and pressure, which can vary due to internal and external forces. Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in velocity results in a decrease in pressure, and this principle is often used to analyze free jet behavior. The trajectory of a free jet is determined by initial velocity, external forces, fluid density, and other factors such as viscosity and surface tension.
imaweirdo2

Homework Statement

A liquid is to drain through a small exit port at the bottom of an axisymmetric tank that is open at the top. Find a tank shape such that the rate of change of the height of the free surface is constant (at least until the tank is almost empty). Assume that Bernoulli’s eqn. applies and that the free surface diameter is always much larger than that of the exit port.

Homework Equations

dh/dt = const.
from bernoulli's eqn: v_out = (2gh)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My best guess at how to solve this is to relate the change in height with the change in radius of the surface of the water, but because I don't know what the volume is I don't know how to do this.

The most I can come up with is:
drainage rate = A*v_out = pi*r^2*(2gh)^(1/2)

I'm not even sure I'm going in the right direction, and I haven't been able to puzzle it out. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
imaweirdo2 said:

Homework Statement

A liquid is to drain through a small exit port at the bottom of an axisymmetric tank that is open at the top. Find a tank shape such that the rate of change of the height of the free surface is constant (at least until the tank is almost empty). Assume that Bernoulli’s eqn. applies and that the free surface diameter is always much larger than that of the exit port.

Homework Equations

dh/dt = const.
from bernoulli's eqn: v_out = (2gh)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My best guess at how to solve this is to relate the change in height with the change in radius of the surface of the water, but because I don't know what the volume is I don't know how to do this.

The most I can come up with is:
drainage rate = A*v_out = pi*r^2*(2gh)^(1/2)

I'm not even sure I'm going in the right direction, and I haven't been able to puzzle it out. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.
$$\frac{\pi D^2}{4}\frac{dh}{dt}=-\pi r^2 (2gh)^{1/2}$$Since dh/dt is constant, it follows that D is proportional to ##h^{1/4}##.

Likes Delta2

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them.

2. What is a free jet?

A free jet is a stream of fluid that is not confined by any solid boundaries, and therefore can expand and move freely in any direction.

3. How is the flow of a free jet characterized?

The flow of a free jet is characterized by its velocity, density, and pressure, which can vary along its path due to internal and external forces acting on the fluid.

4. What is the Bernoulli's principle in relation to free jets?

Bernoulli's principle states that in a fluid flow, an increase in velocity will result in a decrease in pressure, and vice versa. This principle is often used to analyze the behavior of free jets.

5. How is the trajectory of a free jet determined?

The trajectory of a free jet is determined by the initial velocity of the fluid, the external forces acting on it, and the density of the fluid. Other factors such as viscosity and surface tension may also affect the trajectory.