1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics Help Please

1. Jul 30, 2006 #1
    Ok I have a question that I am stuck on which is about forces on plane areas. I can do the questions ok where the water acts aboce the gate but in this case the water acts below it if you get what i mean. Can someone please give an explanation of the approach to this question and how you do it, I would be very grateful. Picture is below:

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The gate has a distributed force, which is a function of distance (height) from the pivot (hinge). The local force is due to the hydrostatic pressure of the fluid, which is a function (mgh) of the height (depth) of water above that point. At the top of the gate, the pressure is mgH, and at the bottom the water pressure is mg(H+4), and it varies linearly in between.

The problem requires a balance of moments. The pressure varies along the face of the plate normal to the surface and parallel to force P.

The moment of P must equal the moment of the force generated by the water pressure on the area of the gate.

Let x be the distance from the hinge, and the pressure varies as p(x sin[itex]\theta[/itex]), where [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle between the plane of the gate and the horizontal. The force is p*A and assuming unit width, an increment of area is given by 1*dx, so the local force at x is f(x) = p(x)dx, the moment of the force if x*f(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?