Fluid mechanics- High Reynolds number flows over bodies

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving wind blowing parallel to a storage facility and the force on a window due to this wind. The solution involves calculating the pressure inside and outside the facility using the equation P = (1/2)ρV^2, with the windspeed being 1.2 times the initial speed outside the window. The force on the window is then calculated using the equation F = (P - P')A, where P is the pressure inside and P' is the pressure outside the window. The correct solution takes into account the angle between the wind direction and the window, resulting in a force of 37.65 N.
Stephan kesting
A 40 km/hr wind is blowing parallel to a storage facility , as shown in the figure. estimate the normal force on a 0.5-m high, 1-m long window if the front door is left open. assume the windspeed along the outside of thewindow is 1.2 U. Air density is 1.22 kg/m^3.

There's a picture that shows a small shed with the wind blowind into an open door with a window on the side od the house. So wind blows straight into the open door and blows parallel to the window.

Homework Equations

p-p(infinite)=1/2 p(U^2)

F=(p-p)A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i have a solution from my professor but he is know to make mistakes (often) on his homework solutions.

His solution: Pressure inside: p-p(infinite)=1/2 p(U^2)=(1/2)1.22((40/3.6)^2)=75.3 N/m^2

P outside window: 1/2 * 1.22 * ((40/3.6)^2) (1-1.2^2)=-33.13

Force on the window is
F=change of p *A= (75.3+33.13)*(0.5*1)=54.2N

My problem:
So my issue is with the pressure outside the window. My solution was to make pressure outside the window 1/2*1.22* ((1.2(40/3.6))^2)

Maybe I am not understanding the equation but i used 1.2 to multiply by the initial windspeed ((1.2(40/3.6))^2). My prof wrote ((40/3.6)^2) (1-1.2^2). Is he right? i can't figure out why the pressure would be calculated like that.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with me. I would like to help you understand the solution to this problem.

Firstly, let's review the equation for pressure: P = (1/2)ρV^2, where P is pressure, ρ is density, and V is velocity.

In this problem, we are given the wind speed of 40 km/hr, which is equivalent to 11.11 m/s. However, we need to use the windspeed along the outside of the window, which is 1.2 times the initial windspeed, or 13.33 m/s. This is because the windspeed increases as it passes through the open door and reaches the window.

Now, let's consider the pressure inside the storage facility. We can use the equation P = (1/2)ρV^2, with the density of air (ρ) being 1.22 kg/m^3 and the velocity (V) being 11.11 m/s. This gives us a pressure of 75.3 N/m^2, which is the same as your professor's solution.

Next, let's calculate the pressure outside the window. We need to use the same equation, but with the windspeed along the outside of the window (13.33 m/s) and the density of air (1.22 kg/m^3). However, we also need to consider the fact that the wind is blowing parallel to the window, so we need to multiply the pressure by the cosine of the angle between the wind direction and the window. In this case, the angle is 90 degrees, so the cosine is 0. Therefore, the pressure outside the window is 0 N/m^2.

Now, let's calculate the force on the window. We can use the equation F = (P - P')A, where P is the pressure inside the storage facility and P' is the pressure outside the window. Substituting the values we calculated, we get F = (75.3 - 0)(0.5*1) = 37.65 N. This is half of your professor's solution, but I believe it is because he did not consider the angle between the wind direction and the window.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the solution better. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification. Good luck with your studies!

Sincerely

1. What is the significance of the Reynolds number in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is used to determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and the overall behavior of the fluid over a body.

2. How is the Reynolds number calculated?

The Reynolds number is calculated by multiplying the characteristic length of the body by the velocity of the fluid and dividing it by the kinematic viscosity of the fluid. It can also be expressed as the product of density, velocity, and length, divided by the dynamic viscosity.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of fluid particles in parallel layers, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable, with fluid particles moving in all directions. The Reynolds number helps determine when a flow will transition from laminar to turbulent.

4. How does a high Reynolds number affect the flow over a body?

At high Reynolds numbers, the flow becomes turbulent, resulting in increased drag and energy losses. This can also cause separation of the flow from the body, creating regions of low pressure and high pressure that can affect the overall performance of the body.

5. What are some common applications of high Reynolds number flows over bodies?

High Reynolds number flows over bodies are commonly seen in aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and engineering applications such as airfoils, ship hulls, and pipes. Understanding the behavior of these flows is crucial for designing efficient and effective systems.