Fluid Mechanics Investigation

In summary, fluid mechanics investigation is a scientific field focused on studying the behavior of fluids and their impact on the surrounding environment. It has a wide range of real-life applications, including weather prediction, transportation design, and medical treatments. Common tools and techniques used in this field include mathematical models, computer simulations, and various measurement devices. The main principles and laws governing fluid mechanics include conservation laws and Bernoulli's principle, and it is closely related to other scientific fields and industries.
ConceptuallyInept
(Thanks to the guy who answered my original thread)

For a physics project I'm investigating the effects on the flow rate of fluids. I'm going to find a relationship between orifice diameter and flow rate (keeping things simple I'll assume it's a circular orifice for a cylindrical can). For the empirical data I obtain, I've got to have theoretical support. If there's a genius out there who could tell me what law or relationship I need then I'd be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]a_1v_1=a_2v_2[/tex]
[tex]Flow Rate=Dav[/tex] Where D is density.
And look up "Bernoulli's Equation"

Last edited:

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your fluid mechanics investigation project with us. It sounds like a very interesting and practical experiment. I'm glad that someone was able to provide you with some helpful information in your original thread.

To answer your question, the law or relationship you need to use for your project is Bernoulli's Principle. This principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases. In other words, as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This can be seen in everyday examples such as the lift of an airplane wing or the flow of water through a narrow pipe.

In your investigation, you can use Bernoulli's Principle to explain the relationship between orifice diameter and flow rate. As the diameter of the orifice decreases, the velocity of the fluid passing through it will increase, leading to a decrease in pressure. This decrease in pressure will result in a higher flow rate.

To support your empirical data, you can use the Bernoulli equation, which is:

P1 + (1/2)ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + (1/2)ρv2^2 + ρgh2

Where:
P1 and P2 are the pressure at points 1 and 2
ρ is the density of the fluid
v1 and v2 are the velocities at points 1 and 2
g is the acceleration due to gravity
h1 and h2 are the heights at points 1 and 2

By using this equation, you can calculate the pressure and velocity at different points along the flow and see how they change with varying orifice diameters.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Don't forget to also consider factors such as fluid viscosity and surface tension that may also affect your results.

What is fluid mechanics investigation?

Fluid mechanics investigation is a field of science that studies the behavior of fluids, which includes liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves the application of mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and understand how fluids move, interact, and affect their surroundings.

What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics investigation?

Fluid mechanics investigation has numerous real-life applications, including understanding and predicting weather patterns, designing efficient transportation methods such as airplanes and cars, optimizing power generation systems, and developing medical treatments such as blood flow in the human body.

What are some common tools and techniques used in fluid mechanics investigation?

Some common tools and techniques used in fluid mechanics investigation include mathematical models, computer simulations, experimental setups such as wind tunnels and flow tanks, and various measurement devices such as pressure gauges, flow meters, and velocity probes.

What are the main principles and laws governing fluid mechanics?

The main principles and laws governing fluid mechanics include the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, Bernoulli's principle, and the laws of viscosity and surface tension. These principles and laws are used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different situations.

How is fluid mechanics investigation related to other scientific fields?

Fluid mechanics investigation is closely related to other scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also has applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, environmental, and biomedical. Additionally, fluid mechanics is a fundamental component of many other scientific disciplines, including thermodynamics, acoustics, and oceanography.