1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics - Linear momentum Analysis

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Water is flowing into and discharging from a U-shaped pipe section as shown. At flange
    (1), 30 kg/s of water flows into the section with the total absolute pressure of 200 kPa. At flange (2), the absolute pressure is 150 kPa. At location (3), 8 kg/s of water discharges to the atmosphere at 100 kPa. Determine the total x and y forces on the flanges connecting the pipe bend. Do not neglect the viscous losses in the pipe bend. Use a momentum-flux correction factor to be 1.03. In your discussion answer the following question: Is it possible to find the force on each flange individually? Why or why not?

This is the given question. What I don't understand is when we are summing the forces, why is the force at flange 2 acting in the positive direction(to the right)? If you see in my solution attempt, I made it negative but in my teachers solution she has it positive. If someone could explain this too me that would be great.

2. Relevant equations

eqn.1 [itex]\dot{m}[/itex] = [itex]\rho[/itex]VA

eqn.2 [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = [itex]\Sigma[/itex]out[itex]\beta[/itex][itex]\dot{m}[/itex]V - [itex]\Sigma[/itex]in[itex]\beta[/itex][itex]\dot{m}[/itex]V

3. The attempt at a solution

Used eqn.1 to solve for all 3 velocites

then eqn.2 to solve for Frx: Frx + P1V1 - P2V2 = [itex]\beta[/itex][itex]\dot{m}[/itex](-V2) - [itex]\beta[/itex][itex]\dot{m}[/itex]V1

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?