Fluid Mechanics PDE's and existence of solutions in inviscid, axisymmteric case

In summary, the conversation is about writing a paper on fluid flow in vortices and finding solutions for the Navier-Stokes equations. The speaker wants to use rigorous proof, starting from the basic continuity equation, and explain their assumptions of continuous flow and no quantum behavior. They also mention using axisymmetric flow and inviscid flow to simplify the equations. However, they are having trouble finding resources for exact solutions and are considering using lagrangian or hamiltonian dynamics, but are unsure about calculating the kinetic and potential energy fields. They also inquire about using numerical methods such as finite element or finite volume analysis, and if computer simulations can be used to study fluid flow in vortices within the given time limit.
AlexGreen
I'm writing a major paper on fluid flow in vortices (think tornado) and the solutions don't generally exist at all. Truly original research is not required, but I want to give a rigorous proof of the Navier-Stokes eq, starting from the basic continuity equation, explain their assumptions (continuous flow, no quantum behavior), and then go on to illustrate an analytically solvable case where we assume axisymmetric flow and inviscid flow. Both these conditions reduce the complexity considerably, but the few papers published i can find still use rather sophisticated dimensional analysis to solve the equations or even more powerful (and less intelligible to me, since i haven't seen them yet) Lie algebra symmetry groups. I need some suggestions on where to find more analysis of exact solutions for fluid flow in a vortex. Or how to modify my paper so I can actually make at least SOME calculations, on my own, in a day or two. This thing has to be written and in by wednesday or thursday at the latest. I appreciate any advice or discussion.

Also, I really want to use lagrangian dynamics or hamiltonian dynamics to solve these problems but it seems that calculating the kinetic energy field is very difficult, and I'm not sure whether the potential energy field would be anything besides the gravity potential or whether it would simply be too difficult to calculate because of some other factors i am unaware of. Both would obviously be necessary to use either dynamic analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if there is any way to use numerical methods such as finite element analysis or finite volume analysis to solve the problem. I know that these methods are typically used for problems where the governing equations are known, but I'm not sure if they can be used in this case. If so, can you point me to some resources that would explain how to use these methods?Finally, I am aware of the fact that computer simulations are often used to study fluid flow in vortices, but I am not sure if I have the time to learn and use such a complicated method. Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to include computer simulations into my paper within the given time limit? Thank you for your help!

1. What is the difference between viscous and inviscid fluids?

Viscous fluids have internal friction and resist deformation, while inviscid fluids have no internal friction and flow freely.

2. What are PDEs and how are they related to fluid mechanics?

PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) are mathematical equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. In fluid mechanics, PDEs are used to model the behavior of fluids in motion.

3. What is the significance of axisymmetry in fluid mechanics?

Axisymmetry refers to a geometric property where a shape or object has rotational symmetry around an axis. In fluid mechanics, axisymmetry simplifies the equations and allows for more efficient calculation of solutions.

4. What is the existence of solutions in inviscid, axisymmetric case?

The existence of solutions in inviscid, axisymmetric case refers to the proof that there are mathematical solutions to the PDEs that accurately describe the behavior of inviscid fluids with axisymmetric properties. This is important in understanding and predicting fluid flow in various real-world scenarios.

5. How are PDE solutions in fluid mechanics verified experimentally?

PDE solutions in fluid mechanics can be verified experimentally through various techniques such as flow visualization, particle image velocimetry, and other fluid measurement methods. These experiments can help validate the accuracy of the PDE solutions and provide a better understanding of fluid behavior.