Fluid Mechanics Piston Problem

In summary, a hydraulic car lift utilizes two cylinders, one with a diameter of 1.8m and the other with a diameter of 0.045m, connected to a reservoir of fluid. When the plunger is depressed by a distance of 1.5m, the car rises by a distance of 0.00094m due to the equal work done by the forces on each piston.
Calculuslover9

Homework Statement

A hydraulic car lift has a reservoir of fluid connected to two cylindrical fluid filled pipes. The pipe directly below the car has a diameter of 1.8 m. the pipe o which the plunger acts has a diameter of 0.045m. the plunger is depressed a distance of 1.5m. How much does the car rise?
http://tinypic.com/r/wam5xd/5
If image won't show please look at link
http://tinypic.com/r/wam5xd/5

Homework Equations

Ain X ΔXin=Aout X Δout

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the piston movess downaward thorugh a displacement Δx1 equals the volume of liquid pushed up on the right as the right piston moves upward through a displacementhttp://tinypic.com/r/2pr8wvt/5

If the image did not show please look at below or look at link

http://tinypic.com/r/2pr8wvt/5

(π (〖0.0225〗^2 m)/4m)(1.5m)=(π (〖0.9〗^2 m)/1.5m)(x)
x=0.00094m

My attempt was wrong. But I am not sure why, any hints to what I can do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by Force F1 should be the same as the work done by the force F2 such that

F1x1 = F2x2

From this you can find the ratio of F2/F1 and thus get x2

I understand your thought processes, however, no mass is given so how, can I use that equation?

rock.freak667 said:
The work done by Force F1 should be the same as the work done by the force F2 such that

F1x1 = F2x2

From this you can find the ratio of F2/F1 and thus get x2

I understand your thought processes, however, no mass is given so how, can I use that equation?

The change in volume of fluid in one piston is equal to the change in volume of the other.

1. What is a fluid mechanics piston problem?

A fluid mechanics piston problem is a type of engineering problem that involves the study of fluids in motion and the forces acting on a piston. It typically involves analyzing the behavior of a fluid as it flows through a piston and determining the forces and pressures exerted on the piston.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics piston problems?

Fluid mechanics piston problems have many real-world applications, such as in the design of engines, pumps, and hydraulic systems. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics in industries like aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering.

3. How do you approach solving a fluid mechanics piston problem?

The first step in solving a fluid mechanics piston problem is to define the problem and determine the given parameters, such as fluid properties, piston dimensions, and operating conditions. Then, mathematical equations and principles such as Bernoulli's equation and Newton's laws are applied to analyze the problem and find a solution.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when solving a fluid mechanics piston problem?

Some common challenges in solving fluid mechanics piston problems include dealing with complex fluid properties, such as non-Newtonian fluids, and accounting for factors like friction and turbulence. Additionally, the geometry and boundary conditions of the problem may also pose difficulties in obtaining an accurate solution.

5. How can understanding fluid mechanics piston problems benefit society?

Understanding fluid mechanics piston problems is crucial in the development of efficient and sustainable technologies, such as engines and pumps. It also plays a significant role in improving the performance and safety of various industrial processes, ultimately benefiting society by promoting progress and advancement in various fields.