Pressure Variation in a Tilted Fluid Column

In summary, a 0.3 m long tube filled with sterile solution of density 1037 kg m-3 and tilted at 40° from the horizontal has a gauge pressure of 3000 Pa at the base. To find the gauge pressure at the top of the tube, one would need to consider the change in vertical height due to the tilting and use Bernoulli's equation.
luysion

Homework Statement

A 0.3 m long tube is filled with sterile solution of density 1037 kg m-3 and closed at the top. The tube is tilted at 40°. to the horizontal. The gauge pressure at the base of the tube is 3000 Pa. What is the gauge pressure at the top of the tube (in Pa)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that the tilting would have no effect so I just used pgh to find the weight of the fluid up until the bottom but that didnt even give me 3000 ... i got 3111
im really confused as how to how to respond to the change in angle.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The tilting would change the vertical height. It would be like a right angled triangle. I also think Bernoulli's equation would work here.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and how they behave under different conditions, such as when they are in motion or at rest.

2. What are the basic equations used in fluid mechanics?

The basic equations used in fluid mechanics are the continuity equation, the Bernoulli's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe the conservation of mass, energy, and momentum in a fluid system.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of a fluid with no mixing or disruption of the layers. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is a chaotic flow with mixing and disruption of the layers. This can be caused by high velocity, viscosity, or obstacles in the flow.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect its flow?

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to flow. A higher viscosity means a thicker, more resistant fluid that flows more slowly. Lower viscosity fluids flow more easily and quickly, and are often referred to as "thin" fluids.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle applied in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline. In fluid mechanics, this principle is used to explain the relationship between fluid pressure, velocity, and elevation. It is often used in the analysis of fluid flow in pipes, pumps, and wings of aircrafts.