Exploring Mars with Inflatable Balloons: Fluid Mechanics Question Help

In summary, a question was asked about exploring Mars with inflatable balloons and determining their properties for floating above the Martian surface. The equations for density, volume, area, and force were provided to help solve the problem. A solution was attempted but became stuck, resulting in a request for assistance.
slasakai
Fluid Mechanics Question! Help needed :(

Homework Statement

It has been proposed that we could explore Mars with inflatable balloons. the density of the Martian atmosphere is 0.0154kg/m^3 (ignore that this varies with temperature). Suppose we make the balloons out of a thin tough plastic where density is such that each square meter has mass 5.00g, we inflate them with light gas of negligible mass.
(a) what's the radius and mass of the balloons such that they float immediately above the martian surface?
(b) If balloons of the same size were used on Earth, find the initial acceleration. the density of the Earth's atmosphere is 1.20kg/m^3.
(c) If on Mars these balloons have 5X the radius they currently do, how heavy an instrument package could they carry?

Homework Equations

density=mass/volume
volume sphere=(4/3)πr^3
area of sphere =4πr^2
f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) density of martian atmos. same as balloon's if it floats just above surface.
mass of balloon=(5g * 4πr^2)=0.02πr^2 kg
dens.=mass/volume

0.0154=(0.02πr^2)/((4/3)πr^3)

r=0.974 m and mass=0.0596 kg (both 3sf)

(b) here's where I became unstuck! Volume of balloon= 3.87 m^3 (3sf) therefore mass of air displaced =4.64 kg(3sf). using F=ma.

Mass of air displaced(buoyancy) - Mass of balloon = (mass of balloon)*acceleration.

plugging in my numbers, got a ridiculous answer for a, a=754 m/s^2 , clearly I have made some error.
I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

many thanks,

S.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got about the same answer (769 vs 754). What you did looks OK, although I certainly would have had the g's explicitly in the force balance equation.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them. It involves understanding how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings.

2. What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include the conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles are used to analyze and describe the behavior of fluids.

3. What are the applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, environmental science, meteorology, and medicine. Some examples include designing efficient aircrafts, understanding weather patterns, and studying blood flow in the human body.

4. What are some key equations used in fluid mechanics?

Some key equations used in fluid mechanics include the Bernoulli's equation, Euler's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations help in solving problems related to fluid flow and pressure.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and performing experiments. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures or workshops, and seek guidance from experts in the field. There are also many online resources available, such as simulations and videos, that can help you visualize and understand fluid mechanics concepts.