1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics question help?

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    fluid mechanics question help!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Air flows through a horizontal duct of dimensions 300 x 300 mm with a velocity of 15 m/s. At position (1) in the duct a water guage (water manometer) registers a hieght of 215mm. The duct bends downwards and reduces in size to 240 x 240 mm, dropping a distance of 12 m to position (2). the specific volume of the air is 0.85 m^3 / kg and this may be taken as constant. Determine:

a) volume flow rate and mass flow rate.
    b) pressure at (1) in kPa
    c) The Velocity at (2)
    d) pressure at (2) in kPa (guage) and mm water guage if losses are neglected.
    e) pressure at (2) in kPa (guage and mm water guage if losses are 10% of the total head at (1) and elevation (2) is used as datum

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's Equation

mass flow rate = v A relative density

3. The attempt at a solution

im struggling guys
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not surprised that you're struggling. Are you sure that the water gauge at point 1 reads 215 m? That's a pretty large water gauge, equal to the height of a 70 story building. BTW, atmospheric pressure is about 10 m W.G.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    haha its mm. silly me :/

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got to show some effort to get help from PFers. That's the rules. "I'm struggling" isn't good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted