1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics question on forces on a cone in a pressurized tank

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    A plug in the bottom of the pressurized tank is conical in shape. The air pressure is 40kPa and the tank has a specific weight of 27kN/m^3. Determine the magnitude, direction, and line of action of the force exerted on the curved surface of the cone within the take due to the 40kpa pressure and liquid.

2. I don't know what to do :( :(

3. Ok so I have worked out the volume of the cone only dipped in solution - this gave me 0.349m^3

I know that Fc = Fair + W

I am getting confused with what area I have to find and how i know the area of the tank to work out the force.... This question is driving me crazy could somebody please explain the steps they took so I can understand the logic. I have the solutions it is the logic of the answer that I do not understand.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted