1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics question

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Actually there are two questions in it.

First question is;

1) Determine the density 8km below the surface of the ocean where the pressure is 87.7Mpa, given that the density at the surface is 1025 kg m^-3 and the modulus of elasticity is 2.37GPa (use integration).

Second question is

2) If the velocity distribution in a 150mm diameter pipe carrying oil where mu(greek symbol)=0.048 Ns/m^2 and relative density = 0.913) is given by

u= 1.125 - 200(0.075-y)^2 where u denotes the velocity parallel to the boundary in m/s and y the distance from the solid boundary in m.

Calculate

a) The velocity gradient and the shear stress at the boundary and at a point 50mm from the boundary.
    b) The shear stress at the centre of the line
    c) The force resisting the fluid motion over a pipe length of 300m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, could you give me a hint where to start? It says use integration but on what? I have a formula which is dP/dz = -rho (greek symbol) x g. z is the height of the fluid element.

For the second question, I figured out part a. You differentiate u and plug in the values for y and mu in. I got the shear stress to be 0.48 Nm^-2. But I am not sure about the velocity gradient. Is it just du/dy and then plugging in the values for y (y=0.05m)? If so, how would the units pan out? Would it be m/s?

Looking at the answer for b which is 0, I am guessing there is some sort of law for shear stress at the centre of the pipe?

For c) i think I can work it out, just need to find the formula (hopefully!)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted