1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics Question

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    ive have recently conducted a lab for investigating the behaviour of fluids in a pipe system
    the fluid chosen was an oil with a density of 853 kg m-3

i used pitot-traversing gear to measure the pressure at different positions from the wall of the pipe (to the centre and then assumed a mirror image beyond the centre of the pipe). i have come to plot these values on the graph and have had unexpected results. i have checked over these many times, and according to the values this is the velocity profile i obtain:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9461/velocityprofilefortest0n.jpg [Broken]

whats causes the dip at the centre of the pipe? is this cause by turbulent flows? or have i simply got the wrong results? i have checked with others whom i conducted the experiment together and obtain similar results, so if the results are incorrect there may be something wrong with the equipment. or is this simply a phenomena of some sort?

any suggestions would be of immense help
    many thanks, pavadrin

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?