Fluid mechanics force balance question

In summary: The slope at any point on the z=constant line.In summary, the conversation is about understanding a force balance in the x and z directions, specifically in terms of pressure and differentiation. The participants discuss the meaning of various equations and variables, such as ∆x and dp/dx, and clarify how they relate to the overall concept of fluid mechanics. They also touch on the possibility of obtaining a masters in aerospace engineering with a degree in mechanical engineering.
Fritz
Please see the attached image to see what I'm talking about.

I understand how the forces (in terms of the pressures and areas) are equated, but then it says 'for small delta x' and from there on I'm confused.

It's something to do with differentiation, but I don't get it.

Can someone explain in simple terms what this all means?

Carrying out a force balance in the x and z direction.

x-direction

p(x). ∆z − p(x+∆x). ∆z = 0

For small ∆x,

p(x+∆x) = P(x) + (∂p/∂x). ∆x

Hence, ∂p/∂x = 0

Which confirms that the hydrostatic pressure does not change in the horizontal plane; i.e., p ≠ f(x,y).

z-direction

p(z). ∆x − p(z+∆z). ∆x − ∆W = 0

Where ∆W = ρ g ∆x∆z

assuming ρ is constant over the small element.

For small ∆z, and as p = f(z)

p(z+∆z) = p(z) + (dp/dz).∆z

Hence dp/dz = -ρg

Stuff in brackets after p is a subscript of p i.e. not a function p of...

Attachments

• SP1.jpg
    SP1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Fritz,

Welcome to PF!

For a small delta x, the pressure at the right hand side is the pressure at the left hand side + the slope of the pressure gradient (in the x direction) times the displacement delta x.

Basically, it's saying that delta x is so small that you can assume that the slope of the pressure is approximated as a linear dp/dx. Since the pressure on the two sides is equal, the slope needs to be zero (which is what the third line says).

Hope that helps.

I'm still confused.

So the pressure is a function of x on the left and right side; p of x and p of (x + delta x) respectively.

The rate of change of pressure on the RHS w.r.t. x multiplied by the displacement delta x is approximately zero, since delta x is negligible.

Is this right?

What exactly is the pressure function on the RHS?

I'm confused about the exact meaning of px+∆x (RHS) and delta p by delta x.

Is this fluid statics or mechanics? Or is fluid statics a sub-division of fluid mechanics (with fluid dynamics being the other sub-division)?

Fritz said:
I'm still confused.

So the pressure is a function of x on the left and right side; p of x and p of (x + delta x) respectively.

Pressure is a function of x (and z... but it can be considered seperately), and has the values of px on the left side and px+delta x on the right side. The subscripts are just designating the point in space which is being looked at.

The rate of change of pressure on the RHS w.r.t. x multiplied by the displacement delta x is approximately zero, since delta x is negligible.

No, since delta x is negligible, the rate of change of p can be approximated as a straight line with slope dp/dx. Furthermore, since delta x is negligible, the value of p on the right hand side is

[tex]p(x) + \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} \times \Delta x [/tex]

(the value on the left hand side) plus (the slope as x changes) times (the distance between the sides). Basically, all the equations are doing is turning a complex slope into a simple (linear) one by looking at a really small piece. If you take a look back in your MV Calculus book, all this is doing is taking a differential.

It's a bit tricky the first time you see it, but once you get it once, you'll get it every time you see it (and you'll see it a bunch in engineering classes).

Last edited:
If dp/dx is the rate of change of the pressure w.r.t. x, then surely if delta x is negligible (zero), dp/dx would also be zero (if you multiply anything by zero, you get zero.

Fritz said:
If dp/dx is the rate of change of the pressure w.r.t. x, then surely if delta x is negligible (zero), dp/dx would also be zero (if you multiply anything by zero, you get zero.

Really really small does not mean zero.

If you're looking at two points on a curve to find the slope of the line connecting them and bringing the points closer and closer together, as the distance between them approaches zero, the slope of the line connecting the two points doesn't go to zero... it goes to the derivative.

I don't really understand where dp/dx came from in the first place.

-->Look up differential approximations in your calculus text.<--

They're using the fact that the pressure on the right and the left are equal to prove that the slope is zero for the entire z=constant line. You can't prove that unless you take a differentially small piece and find that the slope is zero. Otherwise, it would be possible that the pressure increases and then decreases between the two points.

When you say z = constant line, you mean that it's a horizontal line (with the value on the z-axis being constant)?

Maybe I'm too stupid for engineering.

Fritz said:
When you say z = constant line, you mean that it's a horizontal line (with the value on the z-axis being constant)?

Yes.

Maybe I'm too stupid for engineering.

If I had a dollar every time that I said that... I'd have a lot of dollars. :tongue2:

You're an aerospace engineer! Is it possible to do a masters in aerospace engineering if you've got a degree in mechanical engineering?

enigma said:
-->Look up differential approximations in your calculus text.<--

They're using the fact that the pressure on the right and the left are equal to prove that the slope is zero for the entire z=constant line. You can't prove that unless you take a differentially small piece and find that the slope is zero. Otherwise, it would be possible that the pressure increases and then decreases between the two points.

The slope of the z=constant line is the same as dp/dx?

Fritz said:
You're an aerospace engineer! Is it possible to do a masters in aerospace engineering if you've got a degree in mechanical engineering?

Yes. How easy it is depends on what you're focusing on, though.

If you're going into materials, you won't have any problem. I've actually got several ME classmates, and we only give them a little bit of a hard time about it :tongue2: . If you're shooting for propulsion or something like that, you may have to take some junior/senior classes first.

The slope of the z=constant line is the same as dp/dx?

The slope of z=constant is dz/dx - how the z value changes as a function of x.

dp/dx is how the pressure is changing as a function of x.

It's just clicked.

This is what I love about math/engineering. You get so frustrated and depressed, because you don't understand some relatively simple concept. Then, all of a sudden, it clicks and you understand it.

That's the best feeling in the world.

1. What is the principle behind force balance in fluid mechanics?

The principle of force balance in fluid mechanics states that the forces acting on a fluid element must be in equilibrium for the element to remain stationary or have a constant velocity. This means that the sum of all forces in the x, y, and z directions must equal zero.

2. How is force balance applied in fluid mechanics?

Force balance is applied by considering the various forces acting on a fluid element, such as pressure, gravity, and viscous forces. These forces are then balanced to determine the overall motion and behavior of the fluid.

3. What is the significance of force balance in fluid mechanics?

Force balance is essential in understanding the behavior of fluids, as it allows us to predict the flow patterns and forces experienced by a fluid. It also helps us design and optimize fluid systems for various applications.

4. Can force balance be applied to both liquids and gases?

Yes, force balance can be applied to both liquids and gases as they both follow the same principles of fluid mechanics. However, the equations used to calculate the forces may differ slightly due to the differences in density and compressibility between liquids and gases.

5. How does the shape of an object affect force balance in fluid mechanics?

The shape of an object can significantly impact force balance in fluid mechanics. The shape determines the distribution of forces on the object, which affects the overall motion and stability of the fluid. Objects with streamlined shapes, for example, experience less drag and have a better force balance compared to objects with irregular shapes.