How Do You Calculate Shear Stress in a Flowing Fluid?

In summary: The pipe wall is at r = 0, and the center of the pipe is at r = 0.4 cm.In summary, the problem involves calculating the shear stress on a 0.8cm diameter pipe with water flowing at 20 degrees C and a velocity distribution of u(r) = 5[1-r2/(16x10-6)]m/s. Using the given formula for shear stress and the value of viscosity for water at room temperature and pressure, the shear stress at the pipe wall is 0N/m2 and at a radius of 0.2 cm is -1.38N/m2. However, it appears that there may have been a mistake made in assuming r = 0
math_04

Homework Statement

Water at 20 degrees C flows in a 0.8cm diameter pipe with a velocity distribution of u(r) = 5[1-r2/(16x10-6)]m/s. Calculate the shear stress on

(a) pipe wall
(b) at a radius where r = 0.2 cm
(c) at centerline of pipe

Homework Equations

Shear stress = viscosity x du/dr

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did first was get du/dr, which is -10/(16x10-6)r = du/dr

I used the value of viscosity for water at room temperature and pressure which is 1.1x10-3

And then I just plugged everything in so shear stress at wall = 1.1x10-3x -10/16x10-6x0 = 0N/m2 at pipe wall. It is x0 because it is the pipe wall so r = 0m

for part (b) I got 1.1x10-3x (-10/16x10-6) x 0.2x10-2 = -1.38N/m2

Looking at the answers, it seems I got it wrong. part (a) answer is 2.5N/m2 and part(b) is 1.25N/m2

Can anyone please tell me where I got it wrong? Somehow I feel like I made a careless mistake somewhere...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
math_04 said:
Water at 20 degrees C flows in a 0.8cm diameter pipe with a velocity distribution of u(r) = 5[1-r2/(16x10-6)]m/s.

And then I just plugged everything in so shear stress at wall = 1.1x10-3x -10/16x10-6x0 = 0N/m2 at pipe wall. It is x0 because it is the pipe wall so r = 0m
What makes you think r is 0 at the pipe wall? What would you expect the velocity to be at the pipe wall? For what r is u(r) equal to that?

The velocity should be 0 m/s at pipe wall right? Because of the no slip condition?

math_04 said:
The velocity should be 0 m/s at pipe wall right? Because of the no slip condition?

Yes. So where is r measured from?

First, let's make sure we have the correct equation for shear stress. The equation you used, shear stress = viscosity x du/dr, is actually the equation for shear rate. The correct equation for shear stress is:

Shear stress = viscosity x (du/dr)

So, for part (a), when r = 0, the shear stress will also be 0. This is because at the pipe wall, there is no velocity gradient (du/dr = 0) and therefore no shear stress.

For part (b), you have the correct equation, but you have made a mistake in your units. The units for viscosity are Pa·s, so you need to convert your velocity from m/s to cm/s in order to get the correct units for shear stress, which is Pa. So the correct calculation would be:

Shear stress = (1.1x10^-3 Pa·s) x (-10/16x10^-6 s^-1) x (5 cm/s) = -3.44 Pa = -3.44 N/m^2

For part (c), at the centerline of the pipe, r = 0.4 cm. So the calculation would be:

Shear stress = (1.1x10^-3 Pa·s) x (-10/16x10^-6 s^-1) x (5 cm/s) = -6.88 Pa = -6.88 N/m^2

So the correct answers are:

(a) Shear stress at pipe wall = 0 N/m^2
(b) Shear stress at r = 0.2 cm = -3.44 N/m^2
(c) Shear stress at centerline = -6.88 N/m^2

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of science that deals with the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave when subjected to different forces and in different conditions.

2. What are the properties of fluids?

The properties of fluids include density, viscosity, pressure, temperature, and surface tension. These properties affect the behavior of fluids and can be used to describe and analyze their movements.

3. What are the types of fluid flow?

There are two main types of fluid flow: laminar flow and turbulent flow. In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in a smooth and orderly manner, while in turbulent flow, the fluid particles move chaotically and irregularly.

4. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is important in fluid mechanics as it explains the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure, and is used in the design of various devices such as airplanes and carburetors.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including the design of airplanes and ships, the functioning of hydraulic systems, weather forecasting, and the study of blood flow in the human body. It is also essential in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and environmental engineering.