What Are the Most Pressing Unsolved Problems in Fluid Mechanics Research?

In summary, the future of fluid mechanics research appears to be growing, with a particular focus on areas such as turbulence/mixing flows, multiphase flow, and non-Newtonian fluids. There is also a lot of potential for research and funding in fields such as oil recovery, material transport and processing, wind and hydroelectric power, and smart/dynamic materials. The biomedical industry, specifically hemodynamics and lab-on-a-chip research, also has a significant amount of funding available. It may be helpful to research university websites and consult with experts in order to determine the specific areas of fluid mechanics that are being funded and pursued by different institutions and researchers.
makethings
Hello. I would like to know where is fluid mechanics (computational and experimental) research going to be in the future? Is it growing? What areas in fluids have the greatest (in terms of importance) unsolved problems? (ie. I want to know what is being funded and by whom)

I have access to experts in non-newtownian fluids, turbulence research, microfluidics, aerospace, CFD. I really want to stay focused in the fluids area. I'm a beginner in research and currently I am doing CFD study on a combustion related topic. And previously, in undergrad, I spent a year looking at melt flow behavior of plastics. I just want to know if I pursue a PhD in the future, what particular niche in fluids would I find myself with the potential to get grants and funding to pursue research (whether it be through a post-doc scholarships, professorship, government lab or industry)?

I would welcome any advice or even alternative viewpoints on how I should look at PhD studies.

And if it makes any difference, I am in Canada. I would very much like to stay here but I recognize that there are some countries that may have a group of experts on one particular area of fluids and they would be the places to pursue that avenue of research.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my perspective, the money right now is in turbulence/mixing flows and in multiphase flow. There's a lot of commercial applications for both, so there is a lot of money available for scientific topics.

In the future, why limit yourself to fluids? think more generally- condensed matter, soft matter especially, liquid crystals/polymers, etc. There will be a lot of money in oil recovery for a while. Material transport and processing: foods, medicinal products, paints, chemical engineering stuff like that- all kinds of places to improve processes. Possibly work in wind or hydroelectric power, but I don't know the major bottlenecks in the technology. Depending how long view you think, smart/dynamic materials and self-assembled structures could be interesting as well.

I forgot a couple other applications- thin films and coatings are also important commerical processes, and there is likely to be a lot of work in those. What do your 'experts in non-newtownian fluids, turbulence research, microfluidics, aerospace, CFD' say?

Thanks for the reply. It gives me something to think about. I'm in mechanical engineering. So I'm not into all that process-side stuff that chem-E's do.
A lot of the things you mentioned I see here in my department as well. Lots of work on coatings, sprays, droplet phenomena as well.

I'm curious about some of the medical related fluids problems. Is hemodynamics big?
I've also seen some money for lab-on-a-chip research.

All I know is that the alternative fuels research I am in has a lot of money right now. Whether that stays true five years from now is a different story. And that's the kind of picture I am looking for, the future outlook.

makethings said:
Hello. I would like to know where is fluid mechanics (computational and experimental) research going to be in the future? Is it growing? What areas in fluids have the greatest (in terms of importance) unsolved problems? (ie. I want to know what is being funded and by whom)

I have access to experts in non-newtownian fluids, turbulence research, microfluidics, aerospace, CFD. I really want to stay focused in the fluids area. I'm a beginner in research and currently I am doing CFD study on a combustion related topic. And previously, in undergrad, I spent a year looking at melt flow behavior of plastics. I just want to know if I pursue a PhD in the future, what particular niche in fluids would I find myself with the potential to get grants and funding to pursue research (whether it be through a post-doc scholarships, professorship, government lab or industry)?

I would welcome any advice or even alternative viewpoints on how I should look at PhD studies.

And if it makes any difference, I am in Canada. I would very much like to stay here but I recognize that there are some countries that may have a group of experts on one particular area of fluids and they would be the places to pursue that avenue of research.

It may help to look at some different university websites (ME and AE departmental sites). They typically have information on what the different researchers at that university are working on.

CS

makethings said:
<snip>

I'm curious about some of the medical related fluids problems. Is hemodynamics big?
I've also seen some money for lab-on-a-chip research.

All I know is that the alternative fuels research I am in has a lot of money right now. Whether that stays true five years from now is a different story. And that's the kind of picture I am looking for, the future outlook.

The biomedical industry is huge- hemodynamics in particular is, in my experience, a clinical application and there's a practical disconnect between the basic science (relationship of wall shear to athrosclerosis, for example) and clinical treatment. I'm not sure what current state of the art is. I am studying the role of fluid flow in biological processes, and I think it's a large field just beginning to come into its own. There's a lot of basic science applications- many organ systems, several disease states, organism development, inflammatory responses, etc. and a lot of technological developments: perfusion chambers, screening, lab-on-a-chip applications are indeed huge right now. Microfluidics is key to these applications.

1. What is fluid mechanics research?

Fluid mechanics research is a branch of science that studies the behavior of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves understanding the fundamental principles and equations that govern the motion of fluids, as well as applying this knowledge to real-world problems and applications.

2. What are some examples of applications of fluid mechanics research?

Fluid mechanics research has a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, environmental fluid mechanics, and biomedical fluid mechanics. It is used in the design and analysis of airplanes, cars, ships, and other vehicles, as well as in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and water pollution. It also plays a crucial role in understanding blood flow and respiratory systems in the human body.

3. What tools and techniques are used in fluid mechanics research?

Fluid mechanics research relies on the use of mathematical equations, computer simulations, and experimental techniques such as wind tunnels, flow visualization, and laser Doppler anemometry. These tools allow scientists to study the complex behavior of fluids and make predictions about their behavior in different scenarios.

4. How is fluid mechanics research relevant to everyday life?

Fluid mechanics research has a significant impact on our daily lives, from the design and efficiency of transportation systems to the development of medical devices and treatments. It also plays a role in environmental issues, such as predicting the spread of pollutants in water and air. Furthermore, understanding the behavior of fluids is essential in industries such as oil and gas, manufacturing, and construction.

5. What are some current areas of research in fluid mechanics?

Some current areas of research in fluid mechanics include the study of turbulent flows, multiphase flows, and fluid-structure interactions. Scientists are also exploring the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in fluid mechanics research to improve predictions and understanding of complex fluid behavior. Additionally, there is ongoing research in developing more sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions through fluid mechanics, such as in the design of wind turbines and solar panels.