1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics - terminology

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm just trying to get a feel for a subject that I plan to take but I'm unsure about the meaning of a certain term which frequently arises.

The term 'flow' comes up a lot and I'm wondering what it could mean (or refers to) in the context of a pipe flow problem. I know my question is vague but as an example if I'm given a PDE (for the function u(z,t) say) for a pipe flow problem, what am I actually solving for? Would u(z,t) be the velocity of the fluid? Any help would be good thanks.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

This is kind of tough to answer because a "flow" problem can mean different things to different people.

In your case of the PDE, u is "usually" reference for velocity in one of the 3 orthogonal directions. In Navier-Stokes equations, the notations are [tex]u_{x}, u_{xx}, u_{y}, u_{yy}, u_{z}, u_{zz}[/tex] and [tex]u_{t}[/tex] for for the x direction equation. The corresponding notations for y and z directions are v and w. These are all velocity vector components. Eventually, one would have to integrate their velocity profile over a surface area to come up with a volumetric flow in the case of something like flow in a pipe.
  4. Jul 8, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the explanation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?