Fluid Mechanics: Can't Solve Exercise 3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in starting exercise 3 and determining what would cause the cart to move if both jets have the same velocity, area, and density. The possibility of equal and opposite forces canceling each other out and resulting in constant velocity and zero acceleration is considered. The need for an expression for U(t) and a(t) is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a request for the answer to be posted.
JSBeckton
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9176/img062iz2.jpg

I am having trouble starting excersize 3. If both jets have the same velocity,area, and the same density what would cause the cart to move? If they are mean that the cart is given an intial velocity and I need to give an expression fot the acceleration and velocity I am thinking that the two forces would be equal and opposite and therefore cancel each other out. In that case the velocity remains constant and the acceleration is 0 due to no friction.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I am missing?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if they are just asking for an expression for U(t) and a(t) so even if they cancel out there is still a mathematical model that it will follow.

But either way if you find the answer can you post it this is interesting?

for sharing your question and thoughts on Exercise 3. Fluid mechanics is a complex and fascinating field, and it is not uncommon for students to encounter challenges in solving problems. In this exercise, it seems that you are on the right track in thinking about the forces acting on the cart. However, it is important to consider the principles of Newton's laws of motion in this scenario. While the two jets may have the same velocity, area, and density, they may not necessarily have the same mass or momentum. This could result in an unbalanced force acting on the cart, causing it to move. Furthermore, external factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role in the motion of the cart. I would recommend revisiting the problem and carefully considering all the forces and factors at play. You may also find it helpful to consult with a professor or classmate for further guidance. Keep up the good work in your studies of fluid mechanics!

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them.

2. Why is exercise 3 difficult to solve in fluid mechanics?

Exercise 3 may be difficult to solve because it involves complex calculations and requires a strong understanding of fluid properties and principles.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving exercise 3 in fluid mechanics?

Some common mistakes made when solving exercise 3 in fluid mechanics include using incorrect equations, not considering all relevant factors, and errors in unit conversions.

4. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics to better solve exercise 3?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics and solve exercise 3 more effectively, it is important to review the fundamental principles and equations, practice using different problem-solving techniques, and seek additional resources or help if needed.

5. Can I apply fluid mechanics principles to real-world scenarios?

Yes, fluid mechanics principles are commonly applied in various real-world scenarios, such as designing airplanes, predicting weather patterns, and understanding blood flow in the human body.