Solving Submersible Acceleration: A Physics Challenge

In summary, a submersible with a mass of 2.75 x10^3 kg needs to rise to the surface of the ocean. To do so, 1.50 x10^2 kg of ballast is released. To calculate the required upward acceleration, the buoyant force must be determined first using the equation Fb = mg, where m is the mass of the fluid displaced and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The density of the submersible is 1.025 x 10^3 kg/m^3 and the density of seawater is also given. The net force on the submersible is then calculated using Fnet = Fb - Fg, where Fg is the
hank09

Homework Statement

A submersible with a mass of 2.75 x10^3 kg remains at a constant depth beneath the ocean surface. To make the submersible rise, 1.50 x10^2 kg of ballast is released. Ignoring friction, what is the upward acceleration of the submersible? (D = 1.025 x 10 ^3 kg/m^3 )

Homework Equations

Fnet=Fb-Fg
Fb=weight-apparent weight.
Fg/Fb=Density of object/Densitiy of fluid
Fb=mass of fluid x gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried using Fnet=Fb-Fg. I multiplied 150x9.81. I thought this would be the buoyant force. Then, i multiplied 2.75 x10^3 kg by 9.81 as well. I subtracted the two values, and then divided the given net force by the sum of two masses. I think my answers are way off. I am so lost. Don't I have to calculate the Fg of the object and then calculate the required acceleration of the buoyant force that will cancel off the Fg?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi hank09! Welcome to PF! :smile:
hank09 said:
A submersible with a mass of 2.75 x10^3 kg remains at a constant depth beneath the ocean surface. To make the submersible rise, 1.50 x10^2 kg of ballast is released. Ignoring friction, what is the upward acceleration of the submersible? (D = 1.025 x 10 ^3 kg/m^3 )

i multiplied 2.75 x10^3 kg by 9.81 as well. I subtracted the two values

why? :confused:

F = ma, so what is that F? :wink:

I can understand your confusion and frustration in trying to solve this physics challenge. It is important to approach any problem with a clear understanding of the relevant equations and principles involved. In this case, we are dealing with the forces of buoyancy and gravity, which are crucial in understanding the acceleration of the submersible.

First, let's review the given information. We know that the submersible has a mass of 2.75 x10^3 kg and is at a constant depth beneath the ocean surface. To make the submersible rise, 1.50 x10^2 kg of ballast is released. We are also given the density of the fluid, which is 1.025 x 10 ^3 kg/m^3. From this information, we can determine the buoyant force acting on the submersible.

Using the equation Fb = mg, where Fb is the buoyant force, m is the mass of the fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, we can calculate the buoyant force acting on the submersible. Since the submersible displaces a volume of fluid equal to its own volume, we can use the given density of the fluid to calculate the mass of the fluid displaced.

m = ρV, where ρ is the density of the fluid and V is the volume of the submersible. Therefore, the mass of the fluid displaced by the submersible is equal to 2.75 x10^3 kg.

Substituting this value into the equation Fb = mg, we get Fb = 2.75 x10^3 kg x 9.81 m/s^2 = 26977.5 N.

Next, we need to calculate the weight of the submersible before and after the ballast is released. The weight of the submersible before the ballast is released is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity, which is 2.75 x10^3 kg x 9.81 m/s^2 = 26977.5 N.

After the ballast is released, the weight of the submersible will decrease by the weight of the ballast, which is equal to 1.50 x10^2 kg x 9.81 m/s^2 = 1471.5 N.

Using the equation Fnet = Fb - Fg, where Fnet

1. What is submersible acceleration?

Submersible acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of an object that is fully submerged in a fluid, such as water. It is a measure of how fast the object is gaining or losing speed while moving in the fluid.

2. Why is solving submersible acceleration important?

Solving submersible acceleration is important in understanding the behavior and movement of objects in fluids, which has many practical applications in fields such as marine engineering, oceanography, and underwater robotics. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations for various fluid dynamics problems.

3. What are the main challenges in solving submersible acceleration?

The main challenges in solving submersible acceleration include accurately measuring the various factors that affect the acceleration, such as the object's shape, size, density, and the fluid's viscosity, density, and turbulence. Additionally, accurately modeling and predicting the complex forces and interactions between the object and the fluid can also be challenging.

4. How can we solve submersible acceleration?

To solve submersible acceleration, we need to use the principles of fluid dynamics and Newton's laws of motion. This involves setting up and solving equations that describe the forces acting on the object, including buoyancy, drag, and gravity. We also need to gather experimental data and use mathematical models to accurately predict the acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of submersible acceleration?

Submersible acceleration is seen in many real-world scenarios, such as the movement of ships and submarines in water, the flight of birds and planes in air, and the behavior of marine animals in oceans. It is also important in designing and testing underwater vehicles and equipment, and in understanding the impact of waves and currents on coastal structures and offshore platforms.