1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The gauge pressure at the inlet of a horizontal venturi meter is 40kPa. The vacuum at the throat is 38 mm mercury. If a differential U-tube manometer containing mercury is the U-tube and the oil in the connecting tubes is connected to the venturi, what will the difference in the mercury levels be? the fluid in the venturi meter is oil with a relative density of 0.8.
    Answer [0,359m]

2. Relevant equations

I am bit stuck i can get the pressures of the tubes but i am having problem trying to get the levels....

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi bruce. Do you have a picture of this? That would help. It seems like all you need to do is determine the height of a column of fluid. Granted, this is complicate by what sounds like a column of mercury plus a column of oil, but the total pressure caused by two disimilar liquids is the sum of the pressure exerted by each liquid individually.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    I dont but what i can imagine is that the one side of the U tube would be at the opening of the venturi and the other side in the smaller tube of the venturi..... well thats how i would picture it since it is dealing with different pressures... i would assume, Bruce

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook