Calculating Pressure Difference in Venturi Meter

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal venturi meter with a gauge pressure of 40kPa at the inlet and a vacuum of 38 mm mercury at the throat. A U-tube manometer with mercury and oil is connected to the venturi. The fluid in the venturi has a relative density of 0.8. The goal is to find the difference in the mercury levels. This can be determined by calculating the height of a column of fluid, taking into account the pressure exerted by each individual liquid. A visual representation of the setup would be helpful in solving this problem.
Bruce Dutton

Homework Statement

The gauge pressure at the inlet of a horizontal venturi meter is 40kPa. The vacuum at the throat is 38 mm mercury. If a differential U-tube manometer containing mercury is the U-tube and the oil in the connecting tubes is connected to the venturi, what will the difference in the mercury levels be? the fluid in the venturi meter is oil with a relative density of 0.8.
Answer [0,359m]

Homework Equations

I am bit stuck i can get the pressures of the tubes but i am having problem trying to get the levels...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bruce. Do you have a picture of this? That would help. It seems like all you need to do is determine the height of a column of fluid. Granted, this is complicate by what sounds like a column of mercury plus a column of oil, but the total pressure caused by two disimilar liquids is the sum of the pressure exerted by each liquid individually.

I don't but what i can imagine is that the one side of the U tube would be at the opening of the venturi and the other side in the smaller tube of the venturi... well that's how i would picture it since it is dealing with different pressures... i would assume, Bruce

What is a Venturi Meter and how does it measure pressure difference?

A Venturi Meter is a device used to measure the pressure difference between two points in a fluid flow. It consists of a narrow throat section in the middle of a pipe, which causes the velocity of the fluid to increase. This increase in velocity results in a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's principle, allowing for the pressure difference to be measured.

What are the components of a Venturi Meter?

A Venturi Meter typically consists of a converging section, a throat section, and a diverging section. The converging section gradually decreases in diameter, causing the fluid velocity to increase. The throat section is the narrowest part of the meter where the pressure difference is measured. The diverging section then gradually increases in diameter, allowing the fluid to return to its original velocity and pressure.

How is the pressure difference calculated in a Venturi Meter?

The pressure difference is calculated by measuring the difference in pressure between the converging section and the throat section of the meter. This difference is caused by the increase in fluid velocity in the throat section, as described by Bernoulli's principle. The difference in pressure can then be used to calculate the flow rate of the fluid.

What factors can affect the accuracy of pressure difference measurements in a Venturi Meter?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of pressure difference measurements in a Venturi Meter include the fluid density, viscosity, and temperature. Changes in these properties can affect the fluid's velocity and therefore the resulting pressure difference. Additionally, any obstructions or irregularities in the meter can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

What are some common applications of Venturi Meters?

Venturi Meters are commonly used in various industries, including water and gas distribution, chemical and pharmaceutical production, and environmental monitoring. They are often used to measure flow rates in pipes, as well as to control and regulate fluid flow in systems. They are also used in laboratory settings for research and experimentation.