Fluid Mechanics: Cross Sectional Area of Gas Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rate at which gas pours into a gas tank and the corresponding increase in gas level. The question is posed about determining the cross sectional area of the tank and whether it is a realistic scenario. Various equations are mentioned, including A = L*W and V = L*W*H, and a solution attempt is described. However, it is mentioned that there is uncertainty about how to incorporate the concept of velocity in this problem. Ultimately, the suggestion is made to use the equation Q = A*V to calculate the cross sectional area.
dmalwcc89

Homework Statement

Gas pours into your gas tank at 5.3 gallons per minute.
You can't see it, but the gas level inside the tank rises at 4.3 inches per minute.

What is the cross sectional Area of the gas tank?
Is this realistic?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what shape the tank is, but A = L*W, V = L*W*H

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving A by saying after one minute, there is 5.3 gallons in the tank = V. Then, H would be 4.3 at that instant, and this would give me A. But I get a 1.23 in value which makes no sense. Just to gauge where I am at in this class, we are beginning control volumes and in/out flows. So we're using equations that have to do with V(dot)A, where V is velocity. But this problem only has one inlet, so I'm not sure if that applies here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about Q = A V
and calculate A?!

Thanks,

Just remember the gallons is a volume measurement, so you just need to think about the units and solve for cross sectional area.

1. How is the cross sectional area of a gas tank calculated?

The cross sectional area of a gas tank can be calculated by dividing the total volume of the tank by its length. This will give the area of the tank's cross section, which can be used to determine the amount of gas that can be stored in the tank.

2. What factors affect the cross sectional area of a gas tank?

The main factors that affect the cross sectional area of a gas tank include the shape and size of the tank, the type of gas being stored, and the pressure and temperature conditions within the tank. These factors can also impact the amount of gas that can be stored in the tank.

3. How does the cross sectional area of a gas tank impact its performance?

The cross sectional area of a gas tank is directly related to its storage capacity, so a larger cross section will allow for more gas to be stored. However, a larger cross section can also make the tank heavier and less aerodynamic, which can negatively impact its performance and fuel efficiency.

4. Can the cross sectional area of a gas tank be changed?

In most cases, the cross sectional area of a gas tank cannot be easily changed. It is determined by the design of the tank and cannot be altered without significant modifications. However, some tanks may have adjustable baffles or compartments that can change the effective cross sectional area.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the cross sectional area of a gas tank?

The cross sectional area of a gas tank can impact its stability and safety. A larger cross section can make the tank more prone to rolling over in an accident, while a smaller cross section may not provide enough structural support. It is important for gas tank manufacturers to carefully consider the appropriate cross sectional area for their tanks to ensure safety and stability.