1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could help me out with the following problem. I tried working it out, but I don't know if I did it correctly or if I missed an important point. It just seems too "short". it would be much appreciated if someone could go through my solution quickly and give me some feedback.

Thanks so much!!

1. Consider a very large gas reservoir divided by a thin wall with a tiny (much smaller than the mean free path) hole in the middle. Both sides are filled with the same single-species gas. The number densities are identical in the two parts of the reservoir, n1=n2, but the temperature in one partition is four times larger than in the other, T1=4T2. What is the average energy of all the molecules passing through the hole? Note: remember to account for both directions

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached my solution as a pdf since I couldn't figure out how to use latex on this site yet.

Attached Files:

• sol.pdf
      sol.pdf
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2014 #2
    bump

no one can help? did I perhaps post in the wrong section?

4. Jul 8, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted