Fluid pressure homework help please

In summary, the main water enters a house on the first floor with a gauge pressure of 1.9x10^5Pa. A faucet on the second floor, 6.50 meters above the first floor, has a gauge pressure of 6.5 meters when turned off. To determine the height at which no water would flow from an open faucet, the formula for static head (ρgh) is used, with p1 representing the pressure at the bottom of the house. By setting p1/ρg equal to the desired height, the solution for part b can be found.
alaa410
The main water enters a house on the first floor. the line has a gauge pressure of 1.9x10^5Pa
a) A faucet on the second floor 6.50 meters above the first floor is turned off. what is the gauge pressure of this faucet? b)how high could a faucet be before no water would flow from it even if the faucet were open.

iv figured the first part is solved with P2= p1+densitygh

but I am very unclear about what would matter with the faucet being open in part two please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
alaa410 said:
The main water enters a house on the first floor. the line has a gauge pressure of 1.9x10^5Pa
a) A faucet on the second floor 6.50 meters above the first floor is turned off. what is the gauge pressure of this faucet? b)how high could a faucet be before no water would flow from it even if the faucet were open.

iv figured the first part is solved with P2= p1+densitygh

but I am very unclear about what would matter with the faucet being open in part two please help :)
When water is not flowing, the pressure is 'static'. When a liquid is flowing through a pipe, there is a pressure drop associated with the viscosity of the liquid.

In a vertical pipe, in order for the fluid to flow out the upper end, the pressure must exceed the static head ρgh. So what is the gauge pressure of the liquid at the top end of an open vertical pipe when the liquid does not flow? Then relate that to p1 + ρgh, and solve for h.

gh=p1+pgh?

alaa410 said:
gh=p1+pgh?
That can't be right because it mixes dimensions. LHS is accn*distance = L2T-2. RHS is pressure, ML-1T-2.
Also, it's confusing to use p1 for a pressure and p for a density. ρ for density would be better.
To answer your original question, obviously there can be no flow if the faucet is closed. With the faucet open, there will be some flow as long as the pressure supplied overcomes the head of water in the up pipe. The rate of flow will depend on by how much extra pressure there is (and a few other things). The wording of the question is intended to make it clear that they don't care about the rate of flow, so it is not a hydrodynamics question. All they are asking for is what supply pressure will just balance the head of water.

its asking how high the faucet should be so that no water would reach it from the pressure gauge at the bottom of the house that much i understand. but I am still not getting how i would solve for that. i got the pressure of water coming out of the faucet at 6.5 but i don't see how that number will help me find part b

alaa410 said:
its asking how high the faucet should be so that no water would reach it from the pressure gauge at the bottom of the house that much i understand. but I am still not getting how i would solve for that.
At the height at which no water would come out, the water pressure would be, what?
i got the pressure of water coming out of the faucet at 6.5 but i don't see how that number will help me find part b
It doesn't, but the same formula does.

p1/ρg=h ? some one give me a solution for gods sake :p

well look at that... it worked haha thanks guys :D

What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force exerted by a fluid per unit area. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Pascals (Pa).

How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure is calculated by dividing the force exerted by the fluid by the area over which it is exerted. The formula for fluid pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What factors affect fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. As the depth of the fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid also increases. Similarly, as the density of the fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid also increases.

How is fluid pressure measured?

Fluid pressure can be measured using various instruments such as manometers, barometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments measure the force exerted by the fluid and convert it into a pressure reading.

What are some real-life applications of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is an important concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biology. Some real-life applications include calculating water pressure in pipes, understanding blood pressure in the human body, and designing hydraulic systems used in machinery.