1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid pressure

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1
    For a physics project I've decided to investigate factors affecting the flow rate of liquids. One of the factors I'm investigating is how an increase in liquid in a container will induce greater pressure and hence increase the flow rate. I need a theoretical link for the data I obtain for this influence. If you can help I'd really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you talking of Torricelli's law here, when thinking of the flow rate out of the container?
    In that case, you're certainly right; "increase in liquid" will definitely increase the hydrostatic pressure at a fixed level in the fluid.

EDIT:
    (It is however, more illuminating to think in terms of an increase of the difference in gravitational potential energy between surface and opening than an increase of hydrostatic pressure at the level of the opening.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?