1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Pressure

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    YaChSBAl.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    fluid pressure = fluid density * depth * g

3. The attempt at a solution
    My understanding is that fluid pressure at any two points at the same depth is equal, for a fluid at rest. But because one end is open, the pressure at point C is less than B and equal to A? I don't understand intuitively how this works.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well at point A - what is exerting the pressure?
    What about at point D?

Would this be a high or a low pressure compared with the rest?

Remains to consider B and C ... what is exerting the pressure in each case?
    Is there anything else that would contribute to the pressure?

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    At point A, we have atmospheric pressure, as does point D, so they are equal I think. B has the weight of the water molecules above it, so it experiences more pressure than A and D. I'm just not sure why C is < B when they are at the same depth. Is it because molecules at C are moving but not at B?

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the one - notice that B is placed conspicuously far away from the entrance to the pipe that C is in.

You could also look at it like this: The pressure has to drop as you approach D or A.
    C is closer to the low pressure region than B is.

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5
    What's happening is that the fluid that is approaching the outlet pipe has to get accelerated from the very low velocity away from the pipe (e.g., at point B ) to the higher velocity at point C. To accelerate it, you need an imbalance of force. This is supplied by a pressure variation, from higher pressure away from the pipe entrance to lower pressure within the pipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted