Fluid Pressure

Homework Statement

YaChSBAl.jpg

Homework Equations

fluid pressure = fluid density * depth * g

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that fluid pressure at any two points at the same depth is equal, for a fluid at rest. But because one end is open, the pressure at point C is less than B and equal to A? I don't understand intuitively how this works.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well at point A - what is exerting the pressure?
What about at point D?

Would this be a high or a low pressure compared with the rest?

Remains to consider B and C ... what is exerting the pressure in each case?
Is there anything else that would contribute to the pressure?

At point A, we have atmospheric pressure, as does point D, so they are equal I think. B has the weight of the water molecules above it, so it experiences more pressure than A and D. I'm just not sure why C is < B when they are at the same depth. Is it because molecules at C are moving but not at B?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm just not sure why C is < B when they are at the same depth. Is it because molecules at C are moving but not at B?
That's the one - notice that B is placed conspicuously far away from the entrance to the pipe that C is in.

You could also look at it like this: The pressure has to drop as you approach D or A.
C is closer to the low pressure region than B is.

What's happening is that the fluid that is approaching the outlet pipe has to get accelerated from the very low velocity away from the pipe (e.g., at point B ) to the higher velocity at point C. To accelerate it, you need an imbalance of force. This is supplied by a pressure variation, from higher pressure away from the pipe entrance to lower pressure within the pipe.