Fluid Pressures on a Vertical Surface, Oh My

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a physics problem involving fluid pressure on a vertical surface in a tank full of water. A hint was given regarding the formula for fluid force, and the student was advised to use integration to solve the problem. After some more discussion, the student was able to solve the problem successfully. Later, the student encountered another problem involving a semiellipse and asked for help with the integral.
Gaplant
Hey!

All right, so, in Physics, we've been learning about pressure, and now we're tying it in with elements of calculus. Today, we began covering fluid pressures on vertical surfaces, and though I've understood most of it (8 out of 10 on a 10 problem assignment), this one problem has me stuck.

You're supposed to find the fluid force on the vertical side of a tank full of water, where the dimensions of the side are given in feet. The side has the shape of a parabola, y=x^2, with width 4 and height 4, and you're to assume that the "top" of the parabola is at the surface of the water.

Now, I'm not looking for you guys to do this for me, but only for a hint. I've just spent three hours on this, and I've still got a Physics paper on time travel to work on. >_> Our teacher hasn't really stressed the "formula" for fluid force of a vertical side, but instead has us relying on geometric analysis. I just need a little idea on where to begin, please? ^_^

-Gaplant

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: The water pressure is just a function of depth. [itex]P = \rho g h = \rho g (4 - y)[/itex]. The force exerted on the "vertical" wall will be perpendicular to the wall at any point, but you can calculate the x and y components of the net force on the side independently.

Imagine a narrow HORIZONTAL rectangle, of width "x" and thickness "dy" (since the depth is measured in the y direction). The water pressure at each depth y is the density of water (a constant) times the depth (y). The force on that rectangle is the pressure times the area of the rectangle which is itself xdy. Both the depth and the width of the rectangle vary as y changes so you do that for each depth y and add them up. In the limit that becomes the integral: [itex][\integral \rho g(4-y)x(y)dy[/itex].
Notice that "x(y)" the width x depends upon y: in your example y= x2 so
x= 2√(y). (Do you see where the "2" came from?)

...Omigosh.

Thanks both of you guys. Just one of those things I didn't see for a bit, probably because I was trying to work it from the bottom up, instead of the top down (if that makes any sense).

It also didn't help that I was going from 0 to 3 in my integral (3 was from an earlier problem. *-_-). Anyway, I got the right answer, so thanks. ^_^

Was a great first-time Physics Forums experience!

-Gaplant

One More...

Ok, just one more quick question. The next problem features a semiellipse, under the same conditions, with equation y=-.5squareroot(36-9x^2), with width 4, and height three.

Using information garnered from the parabola problem, I've worked it down into F = 62.4 (integral from 0 to 3) (squareroot (4-4y/9))(3-y)dy

(I know that's messy...) Now, I'm just having problems solving the integral.
-_- Any suggestions? Or did I get the integral wrong, too? >_<

-Gaplant

1. What is fluid pressure and how is it measured?

Fluid pressure is the force exerted by a fluid per unit area. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How does fluid pressure change on a vertical surface?

On a vertical surface, fluid pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above it. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and follows the equation P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth.

3. What factors affect fluid pressure on a vertical surface?

The factors that affect fluid pressure on a vertical surface include the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the depth at which the surface is located. Other factors such as the surface area and shape of the surface may also have an impact.

4. How does the shape of a vertical surface affect fluid pressure?

The shape of a vertical surface can affect fluid pressure in various ways. For example, a curved surface may distribute the pressure more evenly, while a sharp corner or edge may create areas of higher pressure. Additionally, the angle at which the surface is inclined can also impact fluid pressure.

5. What is the significance of understanding fluid pressure on a vertical surface?

Understanding fluid pressure on a vertical surface is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and geology. It can help in designing structures that can withstand fluid forces, predicting the behavior of fluids in different environments, and analyzing geological formations and processes. Additionally, it is essential in applications such as fluid mechanics and hydraulics.