Fluid problem -- Piston moving in an oil-filled cylinder

In summary, a piston with a diameter of 10 inches moves within a cylinder with an inner diameter of 10.006 inches. The space between the piston and cylinder is filled with oil with a kinematic viscosity of 0.004 feet^2/s and a specific gravity of 0.85. The piston moves at a speed of 30 feet per minute over a length of 10 feet. To calculate the shear force and friction opposing the motion, the dynamic viscosity can be found using the equation kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity/density, where density can be determined from the specific gravity. The tangential force can be found by using the equation (tangential force) / area = (dynamic viscosity) (velocity/space between
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

A piston 10 is coaxially in diameter moves within a cylinder whose inner diameter is 10.006 in;
The annular space between piston and cylinder is filled with oil having a kinematic viscosity is 0.004 feet ^ 2 / s and specific gravity of 0.85

If the piston makes its way with a speed of 30 ft / min and the length of the piston within the cylinder is 10 feet, calculate the shear force and the friction opposing the motion of the piston

Homework Equations

(tangencial force) / area = (dynamic viscosity) (velocity/space betwteen the two surfaces)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can know the dynamic viscosity of the equation kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity/density and the density it can be known from the specific gravit.

So if I draw a Diagram of piston, I have two tangent forces and the weight. But I know that (tangencial force) / area = (dynamic viscosity) (velocity/space betwteen the two surfaces) and the area of contact it can be calculated from 2(pi)(radio) (Lenght)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Queren Suriano said:

Homework Statement

A piston 10 is coaxially in diameter moves within a cylinder whose inner diameter is 10.006 in;
The annular space between piston and cylinder is filled with oil having a kinematic viscosity is 0.004 feet ^ 2 / s and specific gravity of 0.85

If the piston makes its way with a speed of 30 ft / min and the length of the piston within the cylinder is 10 feet, calculate the shear force and the friction opposing the motion of the piston
[/B]

Homework Equations

(tangencial force) / area = (dynamic viscosity) (velocity/space betwteen the two surfaces)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can know the dynamic viscosity of the equation kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity/density and the density it can be known from the specific gravit.

So if I draw a Diagram of piston, I have two tangent forces and the weight. But I know that (tangencial force) / area = (dynamic viscosity) (velocity/space betwteen the two surfaces) and the area of contact it can be calculated from 2(pi)(radio) (Lenght)?
It looks like you're on the right track, but where are there two tangent forces acting on the piston? I see only one.

What do you get for the dynamic viscosity?

What do you get for the distance between the two surfaces?

What do you get for the velocity/space between the two surfaces (in reciprocal seconds)?

What do you get for the tangential shear stress (i.e., (tangential force) / area)?

What do you get for the tangential force?

I don't understand what they mean by "friction opposing the motion of the piston"

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano
Chestermiller said:
It looks like you're on the right track, but where are there two tangent forces acting on the piston? I see only one.

What do you get for the dynamic viscosity?

What do you get for the distance between the two surfaces?

What do you get for the velocity/space between the two surfaces (in reciprocal seconds)?

What do you get for the tangential shear stress (i.e., (tangential force) / area)?

What do you get for the tangential force?

I don't understand what they mean by "friction opposing the motion of the piston"

Chet

With you answer I realized I don't have understand where act the tangent force, It acts in the area of the piston like a circle (bases of the piston) ?

Queren Suriano said:
With you answer I realized I don't have understand where act the tangent force, It acts in the area of the piston like a circle (bases of the piston) ?
No. It acts on the cylindrical surface of the piston. That's why you use 2πrL.

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano
Why it's only one?? Because there are many tangent forces acting in the contour of the cylinder?? or do you refer to the resultant??

Last edited:
I calculated the dynamic viscosity it gives me 3.16 g / (cm -s). So Should I apply directly the equation

Because the area=2pi(R)(L)= 2pi (25.4 cm / 2) (304.8 cm)
velocity=15.24 cm/s
space between= 25.4152 cm - 25.4 =0.01520 cm

Queren Suriano said:
Why it's only one?? Because there are many tangent forces acting in the contour of the cylinder?? or do you refer to the resultant??
Yes. Just the resultant.

Likes Queren Suriano
Ok, thank you!

Queren Suriano said:
I calculated the dynamic viscosity it gives me 3.16 g / (cm -s). So Should I apply directly the equation

Because the area=2pi(R)(L)= 2pi (25.4 cm / 2) (304.8 cm)
velocity=15.24 cm/s
space between= 25.4152 cm - 25.4 =0.01520 cm
The space between is half of that. You took the difference between the diameters, and it should be the clearance, which is the difference between the radii. The velocity gradient in the gap should be 2000 reciprocal seconds.

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano
Chestermiller said:
The velocity gradient in the gap should be 2000 reciprocal seconds.
You are right! Thank you!

What is a fluid problem?

A fluid problem is a situation where a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, is involved in a system or process and its behavior needs to be analyzed or predicted.

How does a piston moving in an oil-filled cylinder affect the fluid?

The movement of a piston in an oil-filled cylinder can cause changes in pressure, velocity, and flow rate of the fluid. This can also lead to changes in the fluid's density and viscosity, which in turn can affect the overall behavior of the system.

What factors affect the movement of a piston in an oil-filled cylinder?

The movement of a piston in an oil-filled cylinder can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the piston, the properties of the oil (e.g. density and viscosity), and external forces acting on the system (e.g. gravity and friction).

How can we mathematically model a piston moving in an oil-filled cylinder?

The movement of a piston in an oil-filled cylinder can be modeled using the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy of a fluid and can be solved using numerical or analytical methods.

What are some practical applications of studying fluid problems, specifically a piston moving in an oil-filled cylinder?

Understanding fluid problems, such as a piston moving in an oil-filled cylinder, is crucial in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and hydraulic systems. It can help engineers design more efficient and reliable systems, improve performance, and prevent potential failures. Additionally, studying fluid problems can also lead to advancements in technologies such as pumps, turbines, and engines.