Solving Fluid Problem: Help with Planet X Orbit Period

• Thread starter shenwei1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem involving the period of orbit for a satellite around a spherical planet made of the mythical metal exoferrum. The question did not provide the mass or radius of the planet, but an equation using Newton's law of gravity was used to find the period of orbit. The conversation also discussed using the volume of a sphere and the density of the planet to find the period of orbit.
shenwei1988
my professor gave us this problem on the homework assignment about Fluid.

Planet X is a sphere made entirely of the mythical metal exoferrum, which has density 2810 kg/m3. What is the period of orbit for a satellite in circular orbit just above the surface of Planet X? (That's right: I did not give you the mass or the radius of the planet!)

i have no ideal which equation i should use.

I don't know how to start this kind of problem ,please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This has got nothing to do with fluids, and you have shown no work.

Could you have done it if r had been given?

Assume that some value has been given to you for the radius r, and just see how far you can proceed using 'r' as a symbol (or a number, if you like). If you get stuck, we are here.

using Newton's law of gravity, T^2= (4π^2*r^3)/GM

volume of sphere is V=4/3πr^3
ρ=M/V

put in Newton's law of gravity, T^2=3πV/GM T^2=3π/Gρ

thanks a lot, the hint you gave is so helpful. i got it right.

1. What is the formula for calculating the orbit period of Planet X?

The formula for calculating the orbit period of a planet is T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central object.

2. How do you determine the semi-major axis of Planet X's orbit?

The semi-major axis can be determined by measuring the average distance between Planet X and its central object, such as a star or black hole. This can be done through observations or calculations based on the velocity and acceleration of Planet X.

3. Can the orbit period of Planet X be affected by other celestial bodies?

Yes, the orbit period of Planet X can be affected by other celestial bodies through gravitational interactions. This can cause slight variations in the orbit period over time.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the orbit period of Planet X?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the orbit period of Planet X. These include errors in measurements, variations in the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, and the presence of other objects in the planet's orbit.

5. How does the orbit period of Planet X compare to other planets in our solar system?

The orbit period of Planet X can vary greatly depending on its distance from its central object and the mass of the central object. In our solar system, the orbit period of the outer planets such as Neptune and Pluto can range from 165 to 248 years, while the orbit period of inner planets like Mercury and Venus can range from 88 to 225 days.