Physics Test Mystery: Paper Flight Through Bernoulli's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what happens when one blows over a piece of paper and the correct answer according to Bernoulli's theorem. However, the participants question this answer and discuss how it applies to the situation of blowing over a piece of paper. They also suggest a demonstration to better understand Bernoulli's principle.
sid_galt
I got this question on my physics test

"What will happen if you blow over a piece of paper?"

I answered that with enough blowing, the wind created would make the paper fly off. Apparently according to my teacher, the correct answer was that from Bernouilli's theorem, the air velocity above the paper will increase, the pressure will decrease and the paper will rise up.

But how is that possible? Bernoulli's theorem applies only to a moving fluid whose speed is increased by decreasing the cross sectional area. In blowing, we are creating a high pressure inside the mouth and then releasing the air. The static pressure of the air remains the same all the time. Besides, a paper is held down due to gravity and air pressure. To lift a paper by creating low pressure on top of it would require quite a lot of low pressure plus quite a bit of normal pressure air below the paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
sid_galt said:
I got this question on my physics test

"What will happen if you blow over a piece of paper?"

I answered that with enough blowing, the wind created would make the paper fly off. Apparently according to my teacher, the correct answer was that from Bernouilli's theorem, the air velocity above the paper will increase, the pressure will decrease and the paper will rise up.

But how is that possible? Bernoulli's theorem applies only to a moving fluid whose speed is increased by decreasing the cross sectional area. In blowing, we are creating a high pressure inside the mouth and then releasing the air. The static pressure of the air remains the same all the time. Besides, a paper is held down due to gravity and air pressure. To lift a paper by creating low pressure on top of it would require quite a lot of low pressure plus quite a bit of normal pressure air below the paper.

Tried blowing over a piece of paper?

yeah. no effect except that the paper gets pushed across the table. But no vertical motion.

That's a crummy way to demonstrate Bernoulli, since you can blow away the paper. Try it like this:
Hold a piece (~A4) of paper in each hand vertically next to each other, about 5 cm apart. Hold them at the top with the long side down. Now blow a strong, steady column of air (taut your lips) between the sheets. What will happen according to Bernoulli?

What is the Physics Test Mystery: Paper Flight Through Bernoulli's Theorem?

The Physics Test Mystery: Paper Flight Through Bernoulli's Theorem is a test or experiment that involves using Bernoulli's principle to explain the flight of a paper airplane and determine its maximum distance.

What is Bernoulli's Theorem?

Bernoulli's Theorem, also known as Bernoulli's principle, is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force and flight of objects, such as airplanes.

How does Bernoulli's Theorem apply to the flight of a paper airplane?

In the case of a paper airplane, as it moves through the air, the air particles on top of the wing have to travel a longer distance than the particles on the bottom to reach the other end of the wing. This creates a difference in air speed, with the air particles on top moving faster than those on the bottom. According to Bernoulli's principle, this creates a difference in air pressure, with lower pressure on top and higher pressure on the bottom, resulting in a net upward force that lifts the paper airplane and allows it to fly.

What factors can affect the flight of a paper airplane using Bernoulli's Theorem?

The flight of a paper airplane using Bernoulli's principle can be affected by factors such as the shape and design of the paper airplane, the angle of the wings, the airspeed and direction, and any external forces (such as wind) acting on the airplane.

What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's Theorem?

Bernoulli's principle has numerous practical applications, including in aviation, hydrodynamics, and even in everyday objects such as carburetors and atomizers. It is also used in the design of sports equipment, such as golf balls and tennis rackets, and in the study of weather patterns and fluid flow in pipes.