Calculating Vol of Helium to Lift 400kg Payload to 8000m

In summary: Fg = m*g = 400kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 3920NFb = (\rho_a - \rho_b) * g * V = (0.460 - 0.180) * 9.8m/s^2 * V = 2.744N * VFb - Fg = 02.744N * V - 3920N = 02.744N * V = 3920NV = \frac{3920N}{2.744N}V = 1426.8m^3So in summary, to lift a balloon with a 400kg payload to a height of
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

How many cubic meters of helium are required to lift a balloon with 400kg payload to a height of 8000m where the density of air is 0.460kg/m^3 and the density of helium is 0.180kg/m^3. Assume that the balloon maintains a constant volume.

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho = M/V[/tex]

[tex]F=PA[/tex]

[tex]F=\rho*g*V[/tex]

[tex]P=\rho * g * h[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly i found the volume of air which is 869.59m^3 and then from this i found the Buoyancy force for air. The Buoyancy force for air is 3920.02156N

Now to find the Volume of helium

[tex]F=\rho*g*V[/tex]

[tex]3920.02156 = 0.180 * 9.8 * V[/tex]

[tex]V =2222.234m^3[/tex]

However this is the wrong answer, someone tell me what is the problem with my solution?

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you can start out with a volume like that since that is what this problem directs you to calculate.

Try make an equation that describes the buoyancy force as a function of the so-far unknown volume (hint: this only needs to involve the two densities, the gravity constant, and the volume). Then think about what forces that are acting on the balloon (hint: there are two) and how they must relate to each other if the balloon should be able to just float at the given altitude. You should end up with an equation involving the volume as the only unknown for which you can then solve.

That means i would this equation:

[tex]\rho_h * V_h = \rho_a * V_a[/tex]

The two forces would be the Buoyancy force and mg.

There is only one volume, the volume of the balloon. The buoyancy force can be calculated as the weight of the air the balloon has displaced minus the weight of the helium, both calculated using the same volume (notice that mass and weight are not the same, weight is a force and is mass times the gravitational constant).

You are correct about the two forces involved.

so if those are the two forces then:

[tex]F_n = F_b - mg[/tex]
[tex]F_n = \rho_a * V * g - \rho_b * V * g[/tex]
[tex]F_n = Vg(\rho_a - \rho_b)[/tex]

If i sub in the values i get:

[tex]F_n = 9.8V(0.460 - 0.180)[/tex]
[tex]F_n = 2.744V[/tex]

Now how can i find the Volume?

You know that Fn has to be equal to the weight of the payload for the payload to be barely lifted.

But isn't Net Force equal to the number of forces acting on the object?

You know the net force is the sum of the two forces Fg and Fb, where Fb is expressed using the yet unknown volume, but since the balloon is floating without accelerating up or down (i.e. it stays at altitude 8000m) you also know from Newtons 2nd law that the net force must be zero. This gives you an equation Fg + Fb = 0 which you can solve for the unknown volume. Take care to get the sign of the two forces correct, i.e. decide which direction (up or down) you consider positive and put signs on the two forces according to that.

so is this what it will look like:

[tex]F_b - F_g = F_b - mg[/tex]

Yes, now you just need to equate this to zero, insert the expression for Fb and solve for the unknown volume.

[tex]\rho * g * V - mg = 2.744V[/tex]

[tex]4.508V - 3920 = 2.744V[/tex]

[tex]V= \frac{3920}{1.764}[/tex]

[tex]V=2222.22m^3[/tex]

This is incorrect, what have i done wrong?

You seem to keep using some of the old (incorrect) equations that involve V on both sides of the equation.

Start from scratch. You have two forces, the gravity force on the payload Fg = m*g and the opposite acting buoyancy force Fb = (rho_a-rho_b)*g*V. Now you insert this into the equation Fb-Fg = 0 and solve for V.

1. How do you calculate the volume of helium needed to lift a 400kg payload to 8000m?

To calculate the volume of helium needed, you will need to use the formula V = (m*g)/(ρ*g), where V is the volume, m is the mass of the payload, ρ is the density of air at 8000m, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can find the density of air at 8000m by using the International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) model, which is 0.3629 kg/m^3.

2. What is the density of helium at standard temperature and pressure (STP)?

The density of helium at STP is 0.1785 kg/m^3. This value is important to know when calculating the volume of helium needed for a specific payload at a given altitude.

3. How much weight can a certain volume of helium lift at a given altitude?

The weight that a certain volume of helium can lift at a given altitude depends on the density of the gas, the volume of the balloon, and the weight of the payload. Using the formula mentioned in question 1, you can calculate the volume of helium needed for a specific payload and altitude, and then determine the weight that it can lift by multiplying the volume by the density of helium at that altitude.

4. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when using helium for lifting payloads?

Some safety precautions to consider when using helium for lifting payloads include ensuring proper ventilation in the area, using appropriate protective gear, and following proper handling and storage procedures. It is also important to regularly check for leaks and monitor the pressure and temperature of the gas to avoid any potential hazards.

5. How does the temperature and pressure of the surrounding atmosphere affect the lift capability of helium?

The temperature and pressure of the surrounding atmosphere have a direct impact on the lift capability of helium. As the temperature decreases, the density of air decreases, making it easier for helium to lift a payload. Similarly, as the pressure decreases at higher altitudes, the density of air decreases, resulting in an increase in the lift capability of helium.