Solving for Equilibrium: Water vs Mercury

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two tubes filled with water and mercury, with both sides open to atmosphere pressure and in equilibrium. The question is how much the mercury on one side will rise when the water level is increased by 12 cm on the other side. The attempted solution involves using the equations P1= Patm + ρwatervg and P2= Patm + ρmer.vg, and the conclusion is that the separation between the two mercury surfaces would be 2 cm when one side is pushed down 1 cm. However, further clarification is needed as the calculation provided in the attempt at a solution is incorrect.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-17_3-55-47.png

Homework Equations

P1= Patm + ρwatervg
P2= Patm + ρmer.vg

The Attempt at a Solution

so both sides of the tubes are open to atmosphere pressure and are in equilibrium.
I can get P1 =P2

the 1 atm from each side cancels out.
g (gravity) cancels out

I'm left with volume (or distance in this case) of water times density of water = distance of mercury times density of mercury:

(1000 kg/m3 ) (0.12m) = distance of mercury ( 13600 kg/m3)

solving for distance of mercury gives 0.088m or 0.88 cm

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:
is this correct?
Yes. As long as you interpret the question as how hight the mercury on the other side rises above the mercury water interface. If it is in comparison to the original level the answer will be different.

Orodruin said:
Yes. As long as you interpret the question as how hight the mercury on the other side rises above the mercury water interface. If it is in comparison to the original level the answer will be different.
how would it be in comparison to the original level? what would the answer then be?

goonking said:
how would it be in comparison to the original level? what would the answer then be?
What do you think? If one end moves down 1 cm, how does the other end move?

Orodruin said:
What do you think? If one end moves down 1 cm, how does the other end move?
up 1 cm.

so if the side with water went down 12 cm, the other side should have went up 12 cm, but that isn't what I got as the answer, I'm wrong here

And what is the resulting difference in surface levels?

goonking said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 83575

Homework Equations

P1= Patm + ρwatervg
P2= Patm + ρmer.vg

The Attempt at a Solution

so both sides of the tubes are open to atmosphere pressure and are in equilibrium.
I can get P1 =P2

the 1 atm from each side cancels out.
g (gravity) cancels out

I'm left with volume (or distance in this case) of water times density of water = distance of mercury times density of mercury:

(1000 kg/m3 ) (0.12m) = distance of mercury ( 13600 kg/m3)

solving for distance of mercury gives 0.088m or 0.88 cm

is this correct?
Your calculation should read 0.0088 m or 0.88 cm. Watch those decimals and zeroes.

Likes goonking
Orodruin said:
And what is the resulting difference in surface levels?
if the water pushed mercury down 12 cm, and the other side moved up 0.88 cm, then the difference should be 12- 0.88 = 11.12 cm?

goonking said:
if the water pushed mercury down 12 cm, and the other side moved up 0.88 cm, then the difference should be 12- 0.88 = 11.12 cm?

No, we are talking only about the mercury surfaces now. If one mercury surface goes down by 1 cm, you have said that the other rises by 1 cm - so what is the separation between the two? You have also stated that the separation between the two should be 0.88 cm. What does this mean for how much the mercury rose on the side you did not pour water?

Orodruin said:
No, we are talking only about the mercury surfaces now. If one mercury surface goes down by 1 cm, you have said that the other rises by 1 cm - so what is the separation between the two? You have also stated that the separation between the two should be 0.88 cm. What does this mean for how much the mercury rose on the side you did not pour water?
hmm, if I pour 1 cm of mercury into a tube full of mercury, when it is in equilibrium, i essentially raised both sides of the tubes by 0.5 cm.

so If the water is 12 cm deep, that side that water was added, should increase by 12 / 2 = 6 cm

so the other side should increase by 0.88 / 2 = 0.44 cm

goonking said:
hmm, if I pour 1 cm of mercury into a tube full of mercury

We are not talking about pouring more mercury in, we are talking about pushing one of the mercury surfaces down.
goonking said:
so If the water is 12 cm deep, that side that water was added, should increase by 12 / 2 = 6 cm
This is wrong.
goonking said:
so the other side should increase by 0.88 / 2 = 0.44 cm
This is correct, but check your reasoning.

Orodruin said:
We are not talking about pouring more mercury in, we are talking about pushing one of the mercury surfaces down.

This is wrong.

This is correct, but check your reasoning.
so the separation between the 2 when one side is pushed down 1 cm, is 2 cm

goonking said:
so the separation between the 2 when one side is pushed down 1 cm, is 2 cm

Correct, and since the separation was 0.88 cm, one side is pushed down 0.44 cm and the other up by 0.44 cm. The water level rises 12 cm above the surface that is pushed down and therefore is 11.56 cm above the original location of the mercury surface, i.e., 11.12 cm above the mercury surface on the other side.

Likes goonking

1. What is equilibrium and why is it important?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability in a system. In the context of water vs mercury, it refers to the point at which the two substances have equal levels in a container. Equilibrium is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of substances in a closed system.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium in the water vs mercury system?

To calculate equilibrium, we use the following formula: equilibrium constant = [Hg2+]/[H2O]. This means that the equilibrium constant is equal to the concentration of mercury ions divided by the concentration of water molecules in the system.

3. How does temperature affect the equilibrium between water and mercury?

Temperature has a significant impact on the equilibrium between water and mercury. As the temperature increases, the equilibrium constant decreases, meaning that more mercury ions will be present in the system. This is because mercury has a higher vapor pressure than water at higher temperatures, causing it to evaporate and shift the equilibrium towards the mercury side.

4. Can the equilibrium between water and mercury be disturbed?

Yes, the equilibrium between water and mercury can be disturbed by changing the temperature or pressure of the system. It can also be disrupted by adding more of one substance, which will shift the equilibrium towards that substance's side.

5. How is the equilibrium between water and mercury used in practical applications?

The equilibrium between water and mercury is used in various practical applications, such as in thermometers, barometers, and other devices that measure temperature and pressure. It is also used in the extraction of gold and silver from ore, where mercury is used to form an amalgam with the precious metals.