1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Questions. Help please

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The main water line enters a house on the first floor. The line has a gauge pressure of 1.90 multiplied by 105 Pa.
    (a) A faucet on the second floor, 6.3 m above the first floor, is turned off. What is the gauge pressure at this faucet?
    (b) How high could a faucet be before no water would flow from it, even if the faucet were open?

2. Relevant equations
    P=F/A
    density= m/v
    Fbuoyancy= (density)Vg
    P + (1/2)(density)(v)^2 + (density)gh = constant
    P= (density)gh

3. The attempt at a solution
    P= 1000(9.8)(6.3) = 61740? not right. i'm not sure what else to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    Anyone? It's due tonight so if someone could give me a couple of tips that would be great. thanks in advance

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

1. (a) It's 61740 Pa below the gauge pressure on the lower floor, since the pressure applied by the 6.3 m water column is part of the water pressure felt on the first floor. Are you sure the line's gauge pressure is 1.90*105 Pa and not 1.90*105 kPa?

(b) What's the minimum water pressure necessary to force water out?

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    Yeah actually the pressure is 1.9 x10^5 Pa not 1.9 x 105 Pa. I accidentally typed it wrong onto the computer

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    ok I figured it out. Thank you so much ideasrule for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook