1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Questions I'm Really Confused

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    Hey! I have been out of school sick for a week! I'm a little behind and having some trouble understanding some things. Here is a question that has me stumped.

An Amusement park is planning to build a water slide, and the park owners would like to use big giant corks (p= 0.28g/cm^3) as "floats" for young children. what volume of cork is need to keep 20 percent (by volume) of a 40kg child above water at the base of the slide(assume the density of the child is 1.01g/cm^3)?

I found that the 20% of 40kg = 8kg
    and i found that the density of the child = 7.9207

when you take your car into the shop to have it worked on, a hydraulic lift is used. The diameter of the piston lifting your car and the base it sits on have a combined mass of 12000kg. the oil used in this lift has a density of 800kg/m^3.

A. How many apples would you need to place on the imput piston in order to hold up your car? A medium apple weighs approximately one newton.
    B. When the car reaches a height of 0.15m, how many apples will it take to support the car at that height?

I don't even know where to start,i don't even know what they are talking about?? :frown:
    Please help!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted