Solving Fluid Static Problem with Parallelepipeds

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two parallelepipeds that have been combined to create a larger solid in the shape of an "L" and filled with water. The question asks for the force needed to be applied to the top wall to achieve equilibrium. The suggested solution involves Pascal's principle and the pressure at the bottom of the solid. However, the problem is not clear and further clarification is needed.
badruk

Homework Statement

There are 2 parallelepiped with dimension x,l,h those were united to create a bigger solid with an "L" form ( see the picture ). The solid is isolated and full of water.
What's the force that must be done against the top wall, to make the system in equilibrium?

Here's the image:
l1t2ad.jpg

Homework Equations

Pascal's principle: everywhere the pressure's the same
Pressure at the bottom: $P=P_ext+\rho gh$

The Attempt at a Solution

The external pressure is 0 because the system is isolated; so I thought that the pressure against the wall may be $P=\rho g h$ and the Force would have been ( modular ) $|F|= \rho g h \times S $ where S is the section of the wall.. Unlucky this is not the right answer..

May someone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I know this stuff and would try to help but the problem is not clear to me as stated. If you can make an attempt at being more clear I will give it another shot.

1. What is a fluid static problem?

A fluid static problem involves studying the behavior of fluids at rest, particularly the forces acting on the fluid and its container. This is important in engineering and physics, as it helps in understanding the stability and pressure distribution in various systems.

2. What are parallelepipeds?

Parallelepipeds are three-dimensional geometric shapes with six rectangular faces. They are commonly used in fluid static problems as they can represent containers or objects that contain or interact with fluids. These shapes are also useful in calculations as they have well-defined dimensions and properties.

3. How do you solve fluid static problems with parallelepipeds?

The first step in solving fluid static problems with parallelepipeds is to identify the relevant forces acting on the fluid and its container. These may include gravity, pressure, and surface tension. Then, using principles of fluid mechanics and equations such as Pascal's law, the forces can be balanced and the resulting pressure distribution can be calculated.

4. What are some practical applications of solving fluid static problems with parallelepipeds?

Understanding fluid statics and solving problems with parallelepipeds is crucial in various engineering and physics applications. It is used in designing and analyzing hydraulic systems, such as dams and pipelines, as well as in designing containers and vessels for storing and transporting fluids. It is also used in studying the stability of floating objects and in designing ships and submarines.

5. What are some challenges in solving fluid static problems with parallelepipeds?

One of the main challenges in solving fluid static problems with parallelepipeds is accurately accounting for all the forces acting on the fluid and its container. This may require advanced mathematical and computational techniques. Another challenge is dealing with non-ideal conditions, such as fluid viscosity and density variations, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations.