1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid statics question

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1,500-kg car stands on a square platform, and a 25-kg boy stands on another square platform. These platforms are the two caps of a large oil-filled container. What must the ratio of the platform sides (large/small) for the boy to gently lift the car?

-less than 1.5
    -Between 3.0 and 4.4
    -More than 6.0
    -Between 1.5 and 2.9
    -Between 4.5 and 6.0

2. Relevant equations
    Fsmall= (Asmall/Alarge)*Flarge

3. The attempt at a solution

25*9.8 = (Asmall/Alarge)*(1500*9.8)
    Asmall/Alarge =1/60
    I know this is definitely not the right ratio, and I know I'm not including something probably in the area portion -I'm just not sure what that is

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is the ratio of "the platform sides" related to the ratio of the areas?

4. Nov 6, 2016 #3
    I'm not sure, so the ratio of the platform sides would be different from the ratio of the areas, but I have no clue how you would decipher between the two...

5. Nov 6, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The platforms are in the shape of a square. How do you calculate the area of a square if you know the length of the sides?

6. Nov 6, 2016 #5
    Oh I missed that it would be a square so you'd take the square root of the area ratio?

7. Nov 6, 2016 #6
    Thanks that was right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted