1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid statics

1. May 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to study for an exam and a section in the book on pressure on a plane is shown in the attached picture. I am trying to understand how equation15.16 was derived. I know normally the line of action is found using moments so this seems to be a short cut but I can'tunderstand how the book got to this equation. Any help would be muchappreciated. Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Equation 15.16 is illegible. Please post it with a better picture. Also post the relevant equations and your bet attempt at solving or understanding what is going on.

4. May 8, 2017 #3
    I don't believe the issue is that they took some clever shortcut as it is that they plain just didn't say anything about how they got there. I am sure they just found the centroid as the that is pretty easy and I can't imagine there being anything shorter.

Write the pressure as a function of depth h and integrate

∫ h P(h) / ∫ P(h)

from h1 to h2.

5. May 9, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not an equation. An equation has two sides. Which side is this, what is the other side and what is the equation supoosed to represent?

6. May 10, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Or even just looked it up... Centroid of a trapezoid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted